When I do a total health assessment of my clients with digestive disorders, I usually could trace their health deterioration having started at a time when they have had to take antibiotics for whatever reason. It could be an infection when they were young, a knee surgery, a common cold, or other health problems.
Antibiotics are often “loosely” prescribed by doctors for various reasons. A friend who fell down the stairs and had a big bump on her head was prescribed antibiotics. Really? Whatever for?
There are many types of antibiotics in the market, in the form of drugs such as penicillin, amoxicillin, cephalexin and azithromycin … all ending with ~in. To me these are all tox~ins!!
Whenever necessary to use an antibiotic for any infection, the only antibiotics you should turn to are the safe and natural ones. One of my most favorite natural antibiotic is the oil of oregano.
Every Home Should Have A Bottle Of Oregano Oil
This herbal oil is derived from the flowers and leaves of wild oregano plant. It is a powerful antimicrobial that powerfully fight off infections. Because of its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, the oregano oil has a wide range of uses and health benefits.
Oregano oil has the highest content of phenols among all aromatic plants—natural phytochemical compounds that have high antioxidant activities. The two most abundant phenols are thymol and carvacrol. These compounds are the reason why oregano oil is so potent and powerful.
They have natural fungicide and antiseptic properties that kill a wide variety of pathogens, breaking through the cell membranes of disease-causing microbes like nothing else could. These activities help boost the immune system, neutralize free radicals, repair and heal cells and tissue damages.
For Treating Infections:
Because most sicknesses and diseases are caused by micro-organisms, it makes sense that oregano oil that is used to kill these harmful microbes, are effective to be used to prevent and treat infections such as:
- Yeast infections: Bacterial vaginosis, Candida albicans.
- Parasitic infections: Giardisis, flatworms, tapeworms, ringworms.
- Urinary tract infections: E.coli, proteus, chlamydia, mycoplasma.
- Food poisoning: Salmonella, listeria, campylobacter, shigella, botulism, norovirus.
- Lung infections: Streptococcus, haemophilus, staphylococcus, mycobacterium.
- MRSA infection (Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus)
How To Use Oregano Oil
- Add 2-3 drops of oregano oil to a diffuser or vaporizer, and inhale deeply to relieve nasal congestion and lung infections.
- Add 2-3 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water and drink to relieve a sore throat.
- Mix 1-2 drops of oregano oil to a small capful of coconut oil or aloe vera gel, and apply on acne, cold sores, nail fungus, shingles or psoriasis skin condition. Do not use oregano oil on broken or sensitive skin as it may burn. Use a clean cotton pad with every application to avoid spreading the bacteria.
- Mix same parts of oregano oil and organic olive oil and apply to aches, sore muscles and backaches for relief.
- Add 3-4 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water and drink 2-3 times a day before meals to boost your immune system, when you’re feeling under the weather.
- Add 1 drop of oregano oil on your toothbrush with toothpaste, for killing bacteria that cause bad breath.
Using Oregano Oil For Detox
Add 3-4 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water and drink 2-3 times a day before meals. For some people, these few drops may cause a little burning sensation in the mouth. Reduce number of drops if you cannot handle it.
I find it easier to put 3-4 drops on my tongue, then drink water. This way the burning sensation doesn’t burn the whole mouth.
Take this for up to 14 days if using therapeutically to kill parasites or to fight infections. Take a 7-day break, and continue another 14 days if necessary. Oregano oil is so potent that it must not be taken on a long-term basis.
Oregano oil detox is recommended for individuals who are suffering from Candida infections, while at the same time go on a total sugar-free and non-processed foods diet.
The beauty of natural antibiotics is that they don’t cause any side effects as they do not kill the good bacteria, thus can only improve your gut flora health.
Read more about how to use oregano leaves for medical benefits.
Oregano oil is very strong, so it should always be diluted and never applied directly on open wound or broken skin. Always dilute in water, or other carriers such as olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil or jojoba oil.
This is not a side effect, but when using oregano oil therapeutically for detox, it may cause a reaction known as Herxheimer in some individuals. A big amount of pathogens may die and release toxins as they die. This causes a temporary overload of toxins in your blood system that may manifest as symptoms such as headache, feeling tired, and possibly even nausea. Don’t worry when this happens, just stop taking oregano oil for the time being and drink plenty of water until the symptoms go away.
Individuals Who Should Take Precaution With Oregano Oil
Young children, pregnant and nursing women, individuals with high blood pressure or a heart condition; and individuals who are on medications or undergoing medical treatments.
Talk to your Naturopathic doctor if you would like to include this amazing oil to your wellness routine. Done correctly, oregano oil might be beneficial to improving your condition.