Over 60% of Americans experience sleeping problems, every single night. Even worse, chronic insomnia affects a whopping 20-30% of American adults. It’s safe to say, Americans are having trouble getting their shut-eye.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, insomnia is the consistent lack of healthy restful sleep. It can be associated with health ailments, like asthma, depression and anxiety. However, insomnia can also be triggered by your everyday behaviours.
While many chalk their insomnia up to an unsolvable problem, as it turns out, there are a number of small and simple tweaks you can make to your daily routine that will ensure a deeper more restful sleep.
There is, however, a right and wrong way to go about this. We’ve got you covered! Here are some sleeping tricks to avoid and those to practice. Incorporate these into your lifestyle and you’ll be sleeping like a baby in no time.
How NOT To Cure Insomnia
Turning to alcohol or the over-the-counter sleep aids, is often the solution of choice for insomniacs. However, both of these have proven to be dangerous and ineffective.
The main ingredient in over-the-counter sleeping pills is antihistamine, generally taken for allergies and cold symptoms. Sleep experts advise against these chemical-laden solutions because they are often ineffective, have harmful side effects and there is a lack of long-term scientific research on their effects.
Relying on depressants, such as pain relievers or alcohol, interferes with your natural sleep cycle and is dangerous over long-periods of time. While these can make you sleepy, they are detrimental to your quality of sleep!
And, say no to afternoon coffee (the caffeine sticks in your system for over seven hours and increases nighttime urination).
How TO Cure Insomnia
First and foremost, it’s important that you take sleep seriously and make quality sleep a top priority in your life. Without this, no tip or trick will stick. That said, there are a number of natural and time-tested tips to ensure that you are solving the problem in a natural and healthful way.
- Drink these juices to help you sleep and this for your snoring partner.
- Drink these juices to remedy common sleep disorders.
- Drink this juice to help your body relax.
- Drink this juice to reduce inflammation that keep you awake.
- Drink herbal teas (add proven herbal sleeping-aids, like camomile and cardamom).
- Drink this turmeric-milk before bed to help you sleep.
- Put any of these 12 NASA-approved plants in your house to improve sleep quality.
- Get active (picking up regular exercise helps you sleep better, feel less depressed and increases daytime energy).
- Turn your phone off (blue wavelengths produced by your smartphone suppress your melatonin production).
- Use this breathing technique (this sends signals to your body to relax, making it easier for you fall asleep).
- Limit alcohol (interrupts your sleep cycle and suppresses deep REM sleep).
- Incorporate aromatherapy (lavender is a proven sleep aid).
- Other tried and true methods to improve your sleep quality.
Deep Sleep Herbal Milk
What You Need:
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 tbsp chopped dates
- 2 tsp chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- ½ tsp saffron
- 1-2 tsp ghee
- 1/8th tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp raw honey
What To Do:
- Add all the ingredients to milk and bring it to boil slowly. You can add 1/8 tsp of shatavari or ashwagandha to the milk. Once the milk, herbs, and spices are cooked. Turn off the flame, let it cool a little before adding raw honey.
- Drink one cup of this hot milk each night for 3 months to rebuild ojas levels and support sleep patterns.
- You may substitute milk with non-dairy milk such as almond, coconut or any other milk of your choice. Though you won’t get the benefits of the milk peptides, you’ll have a vehicle for the ojas-building foods and herbs, and some calming benefits from the warmth of the milk.
Mini Immersion Blender
I use this mini immersion blender to froth all my hot beverages, especially when I add spices such as cinnamon and turmeric, or coconut oil/milk. It is a battery-operated frother and so easy to use, wash and put away. Makes my drinks taste magically delicious. Well … you have to try it to know … and you will love it! You can get this drink mixer here and it comes with a Lifetime Guarantee!