What Is Zeolite
Literally “boiling stone”, zeolite is a natural mineral of volcanic origin, formed by a chemical reaction between lava and saline water. It has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for heavy metal detox thanks to its filtering properties.
There are about 40 types of natural zeolites, forming in both volcanic and sedimentary rocks and about 150 synthetic types—manufactured for industrial use, not for human consumption.
How Does Zeolite Work To Detoxify?
Zeolite Literally Traps Toxins And Escorts Them Out Of Your Body
Thanks to its negative charge and peculiar structure of porous microparticles, it can trap positively charged ions (toxins) and free radicals, and remove them from your body, acting like a molecular sieve.
The efficacy of the zeolite detox is due to the fact that the zeolite-toxin bond is nearly impossible to break. Once bonded, the heavy metals cannot be removed nor left as a deposit in other areas of the body because they get neutralized inside the zeolite’s negatively charged field.
So once trapped, the toxins are flushed out of the body by slowly passing through the small intestines, where the villi covered with zeolite purify the bloodstream.
This chelation process takes just 5-7 hours, and takes place like a normal bodily process, without impacting the kidneys or liver.
How Long Does A Whole Body Detox Take?
A full body heavy metal detox may take about 7-9 weeks or more, depending on your body size, health, lifestyle, diet and age. The detox can be quicker and more effective if there is a consistent improvement in diet and if you also do the other detox as we suggest here.
Health Benefits Of A Zeolite Detox
- Heavy metal detox: Zeolite, in particular Clinoptilolite, is capable of eliminating toxic heavy metals (like mercury, lead, arsenic and cadmium); pesticides and antibiotics without removing vital electrolytes1. It is an ideal remedy for smokers, and people who got in contact with heavy metals (such as amalgam filling), where tap water is contaminated or simply to remove years of toxic buildup.
- Removes radiation poisoning: Zeolite helps to eliminate radiation poisoning (such as x-rays, and medical scans). In Japan and Russia, after the nuclear disasters, zeolite was used to clear contaminated water and fields. It was added to food to detoxify children who were exposed to radiation. This mineral ash can traps radionuclides and expel them from the body. For this reason, it has been used to contrast radioactive iodine deposits in thyroids too.
- Chemotherapy: Zeolite is pretty new in this sector, but it is starting to get used by oncologists to contrast chemo toxicity and side effects2. It is preferable in this case to ask a doctor for the right posology (dosage).
- Rebalances pH levels: Zeolite is naturally a basic compound and for this reason it can help to neutralize the acidity produced by intestinal fermentation and the excess of chloridric acid in the stomach. It rebalances glucose excess and reduces blood sugar peaks.
- Cancer: Some studies report that ground clinoptilolite could be a potential adjuvant in anticancer therapy and that it could improve the overall health conditions, and decrease tumor size3.
- Allergies: It helps in reducing allergy symptoms, toxins buildup in the body assimilated from food, pollution and drug abuse.
- Powerful antioxidant: Zeolite is a free radical scavenger, trapping free radical molecules, making it an effective antioxidant. It stops premature aging and some related diseases.
- Alzheimer: A clinical study on mice prove that dietary zeolite supplementation reduces oxidative damage and plaque generation in the brain of an Alzheimer’s disease mouse model4.
- Immune system: Zeolite is a natural immune system booster, increasing immune functions by removing the toxins and pathogens that interfere with its performance.
- Combats bacterial infections and parasites,
- Eliminates mycotoxins such as mold, yeast and fungal infections.
- It is a great supplement for sports people. It increases energy levels (both mental and physical), helps fight fatigue, and gets energy levels back to normal after a workout.
- It stimulates metabolism.
- Reduces chronic inflammation and body pain.
- It has a natural alkalizing effect on the body.
- It also aids digestion and remedies acid reflux, candida and arthritis.
How To Do a Zeolite Heavy Metal Detox
Buy a 100% natural zeolite of volcanic origin marked as suitable for human intake such as Clinoptilolite. In the USA, zeolite is registered as safe for human consumption by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Ensure the product is certified and has no additives.
For a complete detox, add 1 teaspoon of Zeolite into a glass of water or juice and drink 3 times a day, for 7-9 weeks. Twice a day for a lighter detox.
After the initial detox period, you can carry on the detox in case of particular health issues, or continue with a maintenance dose once a day.
Zeolite’s Other Uses
Zeolite can be used as an external remedy for skin problems. In the case of acne, dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis, apply the powder directly to the affected area with a wet cotton ball.
It can contrast excessive sweating and hyperhidrosis of the palms, hands, and underarms—zeolite is an ingredient in deodorants and cosmetics.
Synthetic zeolites are not to be consumed. They are used in industrial water filtration, air purification, and to remove radioactive particles and pollutants from the soil. It can be used in pet litter to remove odors.
Where can I buy zeolite?
Buy the powder, in capsules or liquid form at your local healthfood stores, or get it here.
Which is the best zeolite?
The best zeolite for human intake is naturally‐occurring, activated clinoptilolite, with no additives and synthetic substances. You can buy it here.
Are there any contraindications from using zeolite?
Zeolite has no known side effects. It is non-toxic and remains in the intestines—it cannot be absorbed into the body from the gastrointestinal tract. Though rare, you may experience headaches and nausea caused by the detox effect on the body. Drink plenty of water to avoid constipation and dehydration.
Is zeolite harmful?
It has been proven to be harmless for people to take as a detox supplement.
It goes through the body’s natural elimination channels in a safe manner without removing beneficial minerals such as your electrolytes.
(1) James L Flowers1 Stewart A Lonky2 erik J Deitsch3 “Clinical evidence supporting the use of an activated clinoptilolite suspension as an agent to increase urinary excretion of toxic heavy metals” Dove Press, 4 November 2009
(2) Study – The use of Zeolite together with chemotherapy, radiation treatment and severe illness, 2012
(3) Pavelić K, Natural zeolite clinoptilolite: new adjuvant in anticancer therapy, 2001
(4) Montinaro M et al. (2013) Dietary zeolite supplementation reduces oxidative damage and plaque generation in the brain of an Alzheimer’s disease mouse model.