Healthy Sweet Potatoes Coconut Cream Au Gratin With Herbs And Spices
Last updated on
Spice up your dinner table with a garlic and herb infused Sweet Potatoes Coconut Cream Au Gratin. This is a much lighter and healthier version of a traditional dish!
Potatoes au gratin is definitely a comfort food for me. The creamy goodness and starchy potatoes makes me think of childhood potlucks and parties, where this dish was always abundant.
While potatoes au gratin is certainly delicious, it is of course usually made with white potatoes and cream-of-something canned soup. However, it’s possible to make potatoes au gratin with whole foods and still keep the cozy flavors. This casserole is made with sweet potatoes, coconut milk, herbs, and garlic.
I used white sweet potatoes (usually sold as “jersey yams“) for this recipe because I love how their creamy yellow color highlights the herbs. White sweet potatoes taste exactly like regular orange sweet potatoes, except they’re lighter in color. Don’t worry: They are not a nightshade.
If you aren’t able to find white sweet potatoes, feel free to use regular sweet potatoes or even purple sweet potatoes in this recipe. Using a mixture of assorted root veggies like turnips, rutabaga, carrots, and parsnips would be very delicious in this dish as well.
The rosemary in this dish sets off the sweetness of the root veggies, but you can swap it for thyme or your favorite herb. Make sure you let the casserole stand for the allotted time after it comes out of the oven; this allows the sweet potatoes to absorb any excess moisture from the sauce and enhances the flavors before you dig in.
This simple sweet potatoes au gratin recipe would be wonderful served with roasted meat or a fancier dish for a special dinner. It’s also an easy-to-make dish to bring to a potluck.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 2 large jersey yams or regular (orange) sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Layer the sweet potatoes and onions in a medium-sized casserole dish.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the tapioca starch.
- Whisk in the coconut cream and chicken broth.
- Add herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper and simmer just until thickened.
- Pour over sweet potatoes and onions.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Broil the top for 1-2 minutes to brown a bit.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This article was originally published on PaleoHacks.com. It is republished here with permission.
Some of the links I post on this site are affiliate links. If you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you). However, note that I’m recommending these products because of their quality and that I have good experience using them, not because of the commission to be made.