12 Reasons Celtic Sea Salt And Himalayan Salt Are the Best Salts For Health
Last updated on
There are many astounding health benefits of pure salt that many don’t know about. A pinch of seasalt a day may do little miracles.
Types Of Salt
Salt is essential for the survival of all living creatures, including human. It is needed to regulate the water content in our body. We often hear bad press about salt, and indeed table salt which is refined, is extremely unhealthy and toxic. What our body really needs is natural pure salt. Taking the wrong type of salt is detrimental to our health.
In fact, without the right kind of salt, our body will encounter many kinds of problems. Is it any wonder then, by taking table salt, our body is actually deprived of the real salt and minerals. Here’s only a small shocking list of what can happen when we consume the wrong kind of (refined) salt that is found in abundance in commercial cooking and processed foods:
- High blood pressure
- Accelerated aging cellular degeneration
- Respiratory and blood sugar problems
- Aggravates inflammatory issues—rheumatism, asthma, arthritis and gout
- Liver failure, adrenal exhaustion
- Kidney and gallbladder stones
- Heart muscles tire and lacerate, causing fatal heart attack
There are many types of salt so here are the basics.
Table Salt: Also known as common or refined salt, is commonly used by most people for cooking and for food preservation. Table salt is heavily processed in excessive heat that removes 82 out of the 84 minerals in salt, leaving behind only sodium and chloride.
Over-consumption of table salt causes many untold health problems.
Read about the dangers of table salt.
Sea Salt: Sea salt is a general term that refers to salt derived from the sea. And that is what it is, except that most brands are refined—similar to table salt.
There are many brands out there, so when purchasing ensure that the sea salt you’re buying is not purely white and powdery dry. Real sea salt are unprocessed, a little grayish in color, and a little moist.
Celtic Sea Salt: Refers to naturally moist salt harvested from the Atlantic seawater off the coast of Brittany, France. This type of salt are harvested using the Celtic method of wooden rakes allowing no metal to touch the salt.
It is naturally aired and sun-dried in clay ponds and gathered with wooden tools to preserve its living enzymes. Because it is unrefined, it contains all of the 84 beneficial live elements found in sea water, with no chemical and preservatives nor any other additives.
Himalayan Salt: This is one of the purest salt that is as old as the earth. It may cost a little more than all the other salts but really worth the price for its many health benefits.
Like the Celtic Sea Salt, the Himalayan Salt contains all of the beneficial live elements from the earth. They are rich in trace minerals, and by trace minerals, it means that our bodies need only small amounts of them. Using only a small amount of this precious salt daily is sufficient to provide what our body needs.
Avoid The Natural Salt Scam!
Many healthfood stores sell salt that are labeled “sea salt”, and more and more products are made with “sea salt”. These are just marketing scams that are deceiving the consumers, such as chocolates with sea salt!
How do you tell the real natural salt from the fakes? The real, natural sea salt should have an off-white, greyish color and is moist, NOT white and dry nor powdery. The light grey color comes from the clay found in salt flats, and they are NOT processed and bleached. To be sure, see the “BUY” links below for the true source of sea salt, the Celtic sea salt.
BUY PURE SALT:
Related: The amazing health benefits of Himalayan salt lamps.
Also read: How to take a super detox bath with 2 salts that will change your life.
Minerals And Trace Elements Found In Pure Salt
Among the live minerals and trace elements found in pure salt are iodine, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, potassium and zinc. The 84 trace minerals provide the necessary nutrients and protect the body from the harshness of sodium chloride that we consume from commercial salt.
The appropriate magnesium content ensures that unused sodium is quickly and completely eliminated from the body through the kidneys to prevent harm.
Himalayan Salt And Sea Salt Health Benefits
Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt have tremendous healing virtues that have the exact opposite effects of refined salt. It helps to balance out and nourish our body with minerals that our body lacks. It is particularly helpful in helping with mucus elimination. Here are some conditions that pure salt is also good for:
- Sinus and bronchial congestion: I have seen many times how pure salt when taken before sleep has helped the sufferers sleep through the night as it breaks up the irritating mucus, providing much relief.
- Regulate blood pressure: We are right to say that salt causes high blood pressure but it is the toxic table salt that is the culprit. Pure salt has been shown to normalize blood pressure. It literally goes around your body and ‘scrounges’ for the harmful sodium deposits and eliminates it from your body. If you have high blood pressure, pure salt will bring it down. But if you have low blood pressure, pure salt will bring it up to normal. Only nature has been designed with the ability to do this.
- Deeper and more restful sleep: When pure salt is taken with warm water before bedtime, it promotes a deeper and longer sleep that is both restful and refreshing. Nor does it cause you to wake up and wanting to urinate.
- Water retention: We often hear that salt causes water retention. Again, this is only because the wrong salt is consumed—table/refined salt. Celtic sea salt (or Himalayan salt) does the opposite by helping our body properly balance out the electrolyte minerals and releasing the retained water.
- Kidney stones: Celtic sea salt (or Himalayan salt) has also been reported to actually dissolve kidney and gallbladder stones.
- Building the immune system and aids healing: Pure salt provides the rich minerals directly to our cells to enhance resistance to infections and bacterial diseases. It also helps our body heal quicker when there has been a surgery, sickness, burns, mental disorders, etc.
- Prevent over-acidity in body: The rich minerals effectively eliminates unwanted sodium from the body, extracting excess acidity in the body, especially in the brain. The electrolytes are vital to the nerves for communication and information processing of the brain cells.
- Helps control saliva: If you drool in your sleep, it could mean that your body is deprived of the right kind of salt, and that you are not drinking enough water. This condition may also lead to double chin as your saliva glands work doubly hard to lubricate your insides. Drink more water with pure salt of choice to stop this condition.
- Wound Healing: Bathing wounds in pure salt water does not sting, and it helps wounds to heal faster. Also helpful for gargling or drinking to ease sore throats.
- Diabetics: Helps balance out blood sugar in diabetics.
- Muscle cramps: Providing essential minerals to the muscles and preventing muscle cramps.
- Strong alkalinizer: Helps keep our body at the right pH. This is important as an over-acidic body creates many health problems and an endless list of degenerative diseases.
The most convincing fact that salt is critical to life
is that the amniotic fluid is salty !
And that salt is definitely not processed salt !
BUY PURE SALT:
How To Use Pure Salt
Now that you know that table salt is harmful, remove it from your kitchen shelf and replace it with Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt. Use pure salt for flavoring just as you would in place of table salt.
Generally, you would need only 2/3 of the amount you normally use. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 tsp of salt, then just use 2/3 tsp and it would give your cooking sufficient (and better) taste and flavor.
For therapeutic use, increase on your water intake. The minimum amount of water to drink daily is at least 2 liter of water a day (depending on your body size), more is better. But to be more accurate, check how much water you should drink a day. For every liter (quart) of water, stir in ¼ teaspoon of the pure salt and drink. No, drinking pure salt water does not make you thirsty, only dead table salt makes you thirsty. Celtic salt is live food, and is nourishing to your body.
Also try to put in a pinch of sea salt into your fresh juices and taste the difference.
Cancer patients who are on any healing program are advised not to take salt. If you have to, take natural sea salt sparingly. Your body requires only very little salt and you may already obtained sufficiently from your diet. Most foods contain small amounts of sodium that is sufficient for your body—for example from most vegetables, with higher amount in cucumber, celery, tomato, potato and other root vegetables. Adding more salt to your diet is only putting more, unnecessary strain to your body that is trying to heal.
Some of the links I post on this site are affiliate links. If you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you). However, note that I’m recommending these products because of their quality and that I have good experience using them, not because of the commission to be made.
Leave a Reply
I’m Curious…”Why eliminate salt from cancer patient’s” diet? Could you tell me more about this and are you talking all salt or just certain one? Thank you.
Hi Rose, my sincere apologies. I have updated the article to explain better why salt is not recommended for cancer patients. I hope this helps.
Can you clarify your warning about ‘Cancer patients do not take salt’ – is this referring to all salt (including Celtic sea salt) or just regular table salt? Please advise as this is very important and throughout your spiel you have differentiated between 2 types of salt, apart from this one last statement which does not differentiate- as such, i find it ambiguous over a very important piece of information.
Hi James, my sincere apologies. I have updated the article to explain better why salt is not recommended for cancer patients. I hope this helps.
continuously i used to read smaller articles that also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am reading here.
Hi, I just got back from seeing the cardiologist. I went just for routine because heart disease runs in my family. I am 56 years old. I am 5′ 8″ and weigh 155 pounds. Everything came back fine except my electrocardiogram showed that my heart is a little stiff. The doctor said it could be because of age, however, he did say I should cut back on salt. I’ve been using Celtic Sea Salt for about 10 years. I was told by my doctor and my acupuncturist to use it. When I told him that I was using Celtic Sea Salt he said that “salt is salt” and it makes no difference. I also eat 2 organic eggs every morning because I was told by my doctor and acupuncturist that it was ok. Again, the cardiologist did not agree. What is your opinion?
Hi Marguerite, your heart that is “a little stiff” is due to insufficient antioxidants (think vitamins A, C and E) and good cholesterol in your diet. Do add more fruits and vegetables to your diet, if possible 1-2 glasses of freshly extracted juice daily (with 80% greens). I don’t agree with not eating eggs though. Eggs (NOT fried), avocados, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil (uncooked) are all good additions to improve your cholesterol and reduce the hardening of the heart. Please do explore this website to learn more about healthy eating. Hope this helps!
Himalayan Crystal Salt is the most beneficial, cleanest salt available on the planet. It was formed about 230 million years ago where the energy of sun has dried up the original, primal sea. This crystal salt is absolutely pristine and natural, identical in composition to the ancient primal ocean. Himalayan salt is most commonly found as coarse grains, fine grains, or large blocks in Pink Dark pink and in white colors. Himalayan Pink Salt is used by holistic chefs, spas, health professionals, and individuals for its range of nutritional and therapeutic properties. Pink salt may be used in the same manner as table salt for culinary dishes and baking, but it is purer and higher in mineral content. Pink salt can be used to stimulate circulation, relax the body, lower blood pressure, sooth sore muscles, and remove toxins from the body. Mehran corporation exports all kind of salts
I have just bought a product called: Mountain Gold, Organic Himalayan Crystal Salt (iodized)
It states on the back of the box:
The Himalayan Mountains began as the bottom of the ancient seas where life began. The salt that remains is mined by hand in a special area of the Himalayan foothills and is unrefined and without environmental pollutants.
What seems to be questionable is because it appears that the word “iodized” is not natural…or is that OK?
Your opinion please Sara…
I am new to this site but am going to read it for other good health articles, thank you.
Hi Tim, thank you for asking. Organic Himalayan crystal salt by itself is a great product. “Iodized” simply means that it has been industrially sprayed with synthetic chemicals – potassium iodide or sodium iodide. It supposedly helps supply consumers with trace minerals of iodine for the health of our thyroid gland. I would avoid iodized salt, as these are addition of synthetic chemicals. I suggest getting your iodine supply from natural foods. This article may be helpful: http://juicing-for-health.com/iodine-deficiency-health-problems
Thanks for sharing this information with us. Well, Himalayan salt is really an amazing thing. Not just the edible salt but also other Himalayan salt products such as salt lamps and bath salt. I have been using edible salt, bath salt and Himalayan salt lamps for quite a long time. Himalayan salt lamps are so unique and beautiful and have so many healthy and healing properties associated with them. I just love Himalayan salt. It has so many health benefits as you have mentioned in your article.
I just received a bag of finely ground pink Himalayan salt from the San Francisco Salt Co. I’m surprised that it is VERY dry in the unopened bag. If it truly has no additives, shouldn’t it be somewhat moist and slightly caked? Thank you!
Hi Sondra, yes, real unprocessed natural salt should be a little moist and damp.