Turmeric is one of the most well-known natural remedies when it comes to overall health. Curcumin, a substance found in turmeric, is effective at reducing inflammation. It has been shown to ease symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis such as inflammation and pain.
In multiple lab tests, curcumin has also been shown to block the growth of certain types of tumors. One study showed that a turmeric extract containing curcumin was able to stabilize colorectal cancer.
Other studies suggest that turmeric may be able to help protect against various skin diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, colitis, stomach ulcers, high cholesterol levels and various other conditions.
Turmeric is commonly used as an ingredient in South Asian cooking and is added to various meals as a flavor enhancer. Although it is mostly eaten with food, there are other ways to consume turmeric without having to cook up an entire meal. One of these ways is a delicious turmeric smoothie.
Although the key ingredient of this pineapple smoothie is turmeric, mainly due to it’s wide range of health benefits, there are many other healthy ingredients included that make this smoothie one of the best recipes for strengthening your immune system.
Pineapple for one, is a highly effective anti-inflammatory food, thanks to its bromelain enzyme.
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 cup of coconut milk—rich in fiber and vitamin C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6
- ½ cup of pineapple or mango—good source of vitamin C which provides protection against immune system deficiencies and various diseases
- 1 fresh banana—good source of potassium which helps maintain fluid balance and keeps your brain, nerves, heart and muscles functioning
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon—effective at lowering blood sugar levels in people with diabetes
- ½ teaspoon of ginger—reduces premenstruation cramps, and pain caused by arthritis, also effective at reducing nausea and dizziness
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds—good source of fiber, protein, calcium, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder—commonly used to treat anemia, chronic fatigue and to boost energy levels
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper for optimal nutrient absorption of the turmeric’s healing properties (optional)
Now that you know all of the various health benefits of the ingredients to this smoothie, watch the video below for step-by-step instructions on how to make one like it.
This article was originally published on CureJoy.com. It is republished here with permission (in partnership with FamilyLifeGoals.com).