It’s the liquid you pour onto your finger after you accidentally cut yourself while doing the dishes. It’s what you use to disinfect your child’s knee after a fall, but did you know that there are so many other uses for hydrogen peroxide that you can start using in your home?
Maybe you’ve recognized it by its chemical formula, which is H2O2. In the purest form, it’s a colorless liquid, and it’s just a bit more viscous than water. Some of the most popular hydrogen peroxide uses include disinfecting, bleaching and oxidizing.
In fact, if you listen to the famous rapper, Eminem, maybe you may have heard that he used hydrogen peroxide to bleach his hair! You can think of hydrogen peroxide as being water that is equipped with an additional oxygen atom. The truth is that these two compounds are very different.
FACT: Pure hydrogen peroxide can explode when you heat it to its boiling point.
For this reason, most household products contain a diluted solution of the chemical. The majority of household solutions containing HP have as little as 3 to 5 percent of the active chemical in them.
Many people don’t know that the fizzing that you see when you pour HP onto a cut is actually H2O2 bonds breaking apart. The bubbles are really just free oxygen molecules.
While the science is quite fascinating, the practical uses of hydrogen peroxide are even better! Let’s dive right into the exciting world of HP and see what it can do for you!
Note: The term “HP” used in this article is just a shorter way of saying “hydrogen peroxide”. Also, the majority of these “uses’ should be carried out using a 3%, standard-grade purity of HP.
The Complete List Of Uses For Hydrogen Peroxide
1. Eliminate Viruses: You can use about three drops of 3 percent HP in each of your ears. Some experts say doing this can greatly reduce the duration of a flu or cold. Once you apply the drops of HP, let the HP sit for about 10 minutes before allowing it to drain. Another benefit is that it will take the ear wax with it!
2. Get Rid Of Pesticides: Most fresh vegetables are produced using spray pesticides. These are harmful chemicals that you don’t want to consume. Add about ¼ a cup of HP to a bowl with 3 cups of water and allow your vegetables to soak in it for about 30 minutes. Rinse the veggies well and leave them in the refrigerator for a while to dry out.
3. Get Rid Of Airborne Germs: If you have a humidifier, you can mix 1 pint of 3 percent HP with one gallon of water and add it to your humidifier. Let the humidifier run until the mixture is depleted. The disinfectant and antibacterial properties of the liquid will eliminate airborne germs.
4. Whiten Your Teeth: In case you didn’t know, the active ingredient in most teeth whitening products is HP. It can whiten your teeth naturally by oxygenating the surface of your teeth. First, brush your teeth normally with toothpaste. Next, mix 2 teaspoons of water with 1 teaspoon of 3 percent HP. Swish this mixture around in your mouth for up to 60 seconds but make sure you don’t swallow any of it. When you’re finished, rinse your mouth with water and do this up to three times a week.
5. Bleach Finger And Toe Nails: When you remove nail polish, often your nails may be discolored. To reverse them back to your normal color safely, use the standard diluted HP product that you buy from the store. Pour some into a small container or bowl and dip your finger and toe nails for 5 minutes. Do this for a few days consecutively till you achieve your desired result.
6. Bleach Hair: When compared with other household bleaching agents, HP is milder and safer, so you can use it to bleach your hair.
7. Create Hair Highlights: Just spray some HP onto damp hair, and it will give you sun-bleached highlights. Allow it to sit on the hair for up to 15 minutes before you rinse it off.
8. Rejuvenate And Detox: You can soak in a bath with some HP, and it will rejuvenate and detox your body. Pour 1 cup of 35 percent HP into a tub of water. Soak in the tub for about a half an hour and feel the benefits of the HP.
9. Eliminate Stuffy Sinuses: When your sinuses are stuffy, it can be painful. Unclog them with a homemade nasal solution containing HP. In most cases, you can mix 1 cup of water with 1 cap full of HP. If your sinuses are really stuffed, you might consider a slightly more concentrated mixture of HP.
10. Stop Toothache Pain: We’ve all had a toothache at some point in our lives, so you know how painful they can be. To soothe some of the pain, you can do oil-pulling with a mixture of coconut oil and HP. The antibacterial properties of coconut oil and HP help to eliminate the bacteria that are causing the toothache pain.
11. Disinfect Wounds: HP works very well to disinfect most small wounds. In most cases, a small cap full of a standard 3 percent solution will do the trick. Wash the wound with a 3 percent HP.
12. Make An Antiseptic Mouth Rinse: It’s true that HP can whiten your teeth, but it’s also effective as a mouth wash to reduce bad breath that is caused by bacteria. Mix 1 cup of water with about 2 caps full of HP and use it to rinse out your mouth.
13. Eliminate Acne: If you have acne, create a face rinse that can clear up the acne. Use a mixture of 2 tablespoons of 3 percent HP and 2 tablespoons of ACV. Dip a cotton pad on this mixture and pat it on your face on affected areas to eliminate the bacteria that cause acne breakouts. Do not use the same pad for the entire face, but use clean pads to pat new areas to prevent transference of the bacteria.
14. Get Rid Of Boils: You can use HP to get rid of boils. Just fill up your bathtub with water and a single cup of 35 percent HP. This mixture of bath water and HP will treat boils, but it will also rejuvenate and detoxify your body.
15. Soften Calluses And Corns: If you need to soften calluses and corns to get rid of them, just soak them in a mixture of equal parts HP and ACV. This mixture will naturally soften most corns and calluses.
16. Get Wax Out Of Your Ear: Most people have an enormous buildup of wax in their ear and don’t even know it. Get rid of it with 2 drops of HP in each ear. After adding the HP to one ear at a time, add a couple drops of olive oil. Wait a couple of minutes and drain the solution out of the ear. Most of the wax will flow out with the HP.
17. Prevent The Dreaded Swimmer’s Ear: Also known as swimmer’s ear, a typical ear infection is no fun! To get rid of it, just mix 1 cap of HP with some ACV in a small dropper bottle. After swimming, just apply a few drops of this solution to each ear to prevent infection.
18. Get Relief From Ear Infections: By applying about 8 drops of HP to an infected ear, you can ease many of the symptoms and clear out the infection.
19. Eliminate Skin Mites: Many people suffer from skin mites. You can use HP to kill them off. Spray some 3 percent HP on the affected skin. Repeat this process a few times after a few minutes, and it will kill skin mites.
20. Get Rid Of Foot Fungus: Mix equal amounts of 3 percent HP with water inside of a darkened bottle. The bottle needs to be darkened because HP cannot be exposed to light. Apply the mixture to foot fungus.
21. Make A Marinade For Poultry, Fish Or Meat: You can marinade meats by placing them inside a casserole that contains equal parts of water and HP. The casserole should be loosely covered and refrigerated for about 30 minutes. Make sure to rinse the items before cooking.
22. Disinfect Your Toothbrush: To maintain optimal oral hygiene, ensure your toothbrush is clean. You can disinfect a toothbrush by soaking it in HP. It will kill all of the bacteria that are known to thrive in the bathroom.
23. Remove Stubborn Stains From Clothing: One of the most difficult stains to remove from clothing is blood. You can pour some undiluted HP directly onto the stain, allow it to sit for about 1-3 minutes and rinse it off using cold water. Then scrub with a bar soap to totally remove the stain. Repeat the process as needed.
24. Control The Growth Of Fungus In Aquariums: If you own an aquarium, this is a brilliant way to use HP. You’ll have to check elsewhere to find the exact instructions, and you’ll also need to be careful because you don’t want to harm your fish.
25. Make An Emetic For Household Pets: It’s not uncommon for dogs and cats to fall ill after eating certain foods that they shouldn’t have eaten. HP can induce vomiting. This also works well if your dor or cat has swallowed something they shouldn’t and HP can make them throw it up.
26. Use As A Dishwasher Detergent: While it’s not a perfect substitute for dishwasher liquid, HP is always an option. You can make the last of your dishwasher detergent last longer by mixing some HP with it.
27. Create An All-Purpose Cleaner: Most people understand that your typical all-purpose cleaner can get expensive. Just fill a spray bottle with a diluted mixture of HP and use it to clean almost anything.
28. Clean Your Contact Lenses: If you wear contact lenses, then you can clean them with HP. Just soak your contacts into a diluted solution of HP overnight. It will get rid of protein buildup and make them ready to wear the next day.
29. Make Laundry Whiter: Over a long period of time, you’ll notice that your white laundry items can get dingy and yellow. Just add 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to the wash and let the laundry soak for 30 minutes before wash.
30. Remove Organic Stains: Sweat, blood, wine and coffee are all considered organic stains, and they can be difficult to remove. Just make a mixture of 1 part dish detergent with two parts HP and apply the mixture to the stains. However, it’s important to remember that HP can bleach darker colored fabrics, so you need to be careful with what you use it on.
31. Eliminate Undesirable Odors: Over a period of time, your fabrics can get bogged down with odors. Just make a mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and soak the fabrics in it. All of the unpleasant odors will be removed.
32. Clean Carpets And Rugs: A number of homeowners use HP to clean dirty carpets and rugs. It’s especially useful on light carpets because it can bleach darker colors. Spray a diluted solution onto the rug or carpet and clean it as you normally would. Always do a spot test beforehand to make sure it won’t bleach the fabric.
33. Disinfect Your Lunchbox: It’s true that lunchboxes can accumulate a lot of bacteria. Spray your lunchbox with a diluted solution of HP. Let the hydrogen peroxide solution sit for a few minutes; wipe it away.
34. Keep Your Shopping Bags Fresh: A reusable shopping bag is great, but it can get really dirty. You can disinfect and remove odors from any reusable shopping bag by spraying it with some HP, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off with a clean paper towel.
35. Improve The Germination Of Seeds: In case you didn’t know, fungal spores can impede the germination of seeds. All you need to do is soak seeds in HP before planting them, and it will remove fungal spores from them.
36. Thoroughly Clean Your Humidifier: To keep a humidifier running efficiently and cleanly, just add 1 pint of HP with 1 gallon of water to it. The HP will disinfect the humidifier and remove mildew and mold.
37. Clean Tile Surfaces Better: An efficient and effective way to clean tile surfaces is the use of HP. Over time, tile surfaces will get dirty and accumulate stains. Remove the stains by spraying some HP directly onto tiles.
38. Clean The Toilet: Another great use for hydrogen peroxide is for cleaning the toilet. Pour half of a cup of HP into the toilet bowl and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then scrub. It will remove stains, disinfect the bowl and give the bowl a squeaky clean shine!
39. Make Grout Whiter: To make your grout whiter, mix 35 percent hydrogen peroxide with white flour and use it to clean the grout. However, the first step involves covering the grout with the paste. Allow it to sit overnight and rinse it off with water the next day, and see a much brighter grout.
40. Get Rid Of Soap Scum In The Sink Or Bath Tub: This is one of the hardest stains to scrub out of your tub. To get rid of soap scum quickly, spray the surface with 35 percent HP and let it sit for about 30 minutes. The HP will loosen the grime, so all you need to do is wipe it away with a sponge and rinse.
41. Say Goodbye To Mold: You can use standard 3 percent HP to remove mold. It’s even recommended for removing mold by some of the top health agencies in the world. Just spray mold with HP and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Next, scrub it with a sponge. When dealing with mold, always make sure to wear protective clothing.
42. Clean Glass Better: You can loosen massive amounts of grime and dirt from glass surfaces by spraying them with HP. Wipe the surfaces with an old newspaper for optimal results.
43. Clean Kitchen And Bathroom Counters: You can spray diluted HP onto kitchen and bathroom countertops to clean and disinfect them. Leave for a few minutes and wipe off with a clean towel. It can work even better than some of your top household cleaners.
44. Disinfect Sponges And Dishrags: Over time, sponges and dishrags will get SUPER dirty. Soak them in hot water and two capfuls of HP for 30 minutes. This will thoroughly disinfect and clean all sponges and dishrags.
45. Disinfect Your Cutting Boards: Your cutting boards may hide food particles and bacteria. You don’t want to leave them on your cutting boards. To clean and disinfect them, spray your cutting boards with some HP after every use, and let them sit for a few minutes. Then, rinse them out under running water.
46. Wash Fruits: You can use HP to remove wax and dirt from fruits and vegetables. Just spray them down with some HP and rinse them off under running water.
Quick Fact: Did you know that fruits, vegetables and rainwater all produce hydrogen peroxide naturally?
48. Remove Stubborn Foods: Nobody likes cleaning stubborn food off pots and pans. Combine some baking soda and HP to make a paste. Scrub the paste into the troublesome food spots and let it sit for a few minutes. Next, scrub it with with your dish sponge and warm water. The baking soda is an abrasive, and the HP breaks apart the food particles.
49. Enjoy A Fresher Salad: Add 1 tablespoon of food-grade HP to half a cup of water. Spray the solution onto the salad to make it last longer.
50. Clean Kid’s Toys: Kid’s toys spread out on the floor often attract bacteria on them. You want to keep your kid’s toys clean and safe. Use HP to wipe down play areas, toy boxes and toys. Spray HP onto the toys and wipe them down with a clean towel, or wash them in a basin of water with a cup of HP.
51. Brighten Curtains And Table Cloths: If these items have become yellowed and mildewed, you can wipe down the yellowed portions with a cloth soaked in HP. Or, add 1 cup of HP to your wash when doing whites.
52. Get Rid Of Algae: Use HP to remove algae from an aquarium. For every 66 gallons of aquarium water, you want to use about 60 ml of hydrogen peroxide. Use a dropper to add the liquid over the span of about 5 minutes.
53. Treat Animal Wounds: You can use HP on animal wounds in the same way you would use it on human wounds. Just dab the HP onto the wound carefully to disinfect while removing dead flesh.
54. De-mold Plants: If you have some plants that are starting to get a bit moldy and musty, just spray them down with some 3 percent HP. This may be useful when growing wheatgrass.
55. Get Rid Of Canker sores: If you have canker sores in your mouth, you can hold a single capful of HP in your mouth for 10 minutes, and it will get rid of the canker sores. Do not swallow!
56. Add In Your Enema Water: Mix 1 tablespoon of HP to 4 cups of water.
57. Gain Control Of A Yeast Infection: To do this, add about 2 capfuls of HP to the inside of your douche once or twice a week.
58. Clean Your Mirror Exceptionally Well: Over time, mirrors get really dirty. To get a no-streak clean, just spray them down with some HP and wipe them clean with an old newspaper or paper towel for optimal results.
59. Prolong The Freshness Of Your Vegetables: You can use HP to prolong the freshness of your vegetables. Add about ¼ a cup of food-grade HP to a sink full of cold water and throw your veggies into it. Let them soak for about 30 minutes. Then, rinse them and shake out excess water. Dab dry with clean paper towel, pack them back in a clean plastic bag and store them dry in the fridge, to prolong the freshness.
60. Remove Wine Stains: To get rid of wine stains, mix equal parts of liquid detergent with HP. Pour the solution onto the stain and use a clean cloth to blot the stain away.
61. Remove Collar Stain: Spray the collar with a mixture of 1 part liquid detergent and 2 parts HP. Leave for five minutes and put to wash.
62. Easily Kill Mites: To get rid of mites, spray them with some HP. You can repeat the process a few times to be safe.
63. Improve Your Plant’s Root System: You can improve the roots of your plants by watering them using a mixture of 1 part HP and 32 parts water.
64. Make Short Work Of Armpit Sweat: To get rid of embarrassing armpit stains on your white garments, use 2 parts HP with 1 part dishwasher liquid and apply it to the stains. Allow the stains to soak for about a few minutes then put to wash.
65. Remove Stains From Stone Countertops: HP can work very well for removing stains from virtually any tile or stone surface. Just mix it with some white flour and apply the paste to the stains. Wrap everything in plastic and allow it to sit overnight. Remove and clean up the next morning.
Hydrogen Peroxide Facts
Now that you’ve seen the list—you know what this amazing liquid is capable of. Do you know that it’s also found in ALL living materials? Did you know that the white blood cells inside of your body produce it naturally?
Fruits and veggies also produce it naturally, which is why your doctor is always telling you to eat more of them. During a mother’s first milk, huge amounts of hydrogen peroxide are transferred to a baby, which boosts the immune system. This incredible compound is even found in rainwater.
You might also like to know that you can add HP to water, and it will oxygenate the water. This is a nifty technique that you can use when transferring fish from one location to another. It will add oxygen to the water, so the fish will be far more comfortable.
The disinfectant qualities of HP have made it a household staple for many years, and it’s difficult to find a household first-aid kit that doesn’t have a bottle of it. If you haven’t already, go and start enjoying the benefits that hydrogen peroxide has to offer!
About the Author:
Julian Thomas spends most of his time writing at Smevrything.com. He enjoys writing about science, entertainment and activities like fishing and hiking, to name a few.
This article is shared with permission from our friends at wakingtimes.com.