It can be scary to realize that the nutritional advice you’ve gotten for your whole life had been based on lies. However, that is the reality of the world you are living in. What the government recommends as healthy can actually make you very sick, and much of what it tells you to avoid provides optimal health.
Cow’s milk is a perfect example of this. Cow’s milk has long been heralded as a great beverage for children and something that you should be drinking every day. In fact, cow’s milk comes with plenty of side effects and it can destroy your digestive health. Keep reading to learn more about why you shouldn’t consume cow’s milk and what alternatives you have.
Why You Should Avoid Cow’s Milk
There are dozens of reasons to lower your dairy intake. Here are a few of the most important:
- Dairy may actually increase risk of breast cancer in women. Troubling research indicates that an increased consumption of dairy products also put men at greater risk for prostate cancer.
- Cow’s milk is not a good source of calcium. Milk (and dairy products) are acid-forming in our body. When it gets acidic, our bodies try to balance the pH by drawing more calcium (alkaline) from our bones. Over time, more and more calcium are actually drawn out from your bones and eventually lead to osteoporosis. Also read, how excess calcium can cause inflammation in your body.
- Cow’s milk contains allergenic proteins, such as casein, which may cause allergies in many people, causing likelihood of inflammation, autoimmune diseases and even diabetes.
- Cow’s milk contains a sugar called lactose that may be difficult for many peopled to digest, resulting in lactose intolerance symptoms, such as diarrhea, nausea, cramps, gas and bloating.
- Drinking cow’s milk regularly has been linked to inflammatory ailments such as acne, asthma and gout. Just by stopping dairy consumption, most people find relief in these symptoms.
- Studies showed that drinking cow’s milk leads to weight gain. Skimmed milk and 1% milk is not any better than the full-cream milk. Totally eliminate cow’s milk from your diet, if you want to lose fats and weight.
Read more about the many causes of osteoporosis and how you can reverse it before it’s too late!
Healthy Alternatives To Try
The good news is that, there are tons of healthier alternatives to dairy milk. Depending on the diet you are following and what your nutritional needs are, try out some of these dairy milk alternatives to find the right beverage for your family.
1. Goat’s Milk
Goat’s milk is less allergenic, compared to cow’s milk. It has smaller fat globules that are easier on the digestive system.
It contains very low lactose content, therefore, rarely cause lactose intolerance.
Goat’s milk has a greater amount of the right kind of fatty acids that are healing compared to cow’s milk, and is alkaline-forming.
It is really a superior alternative to cow’s milk, in fact the molecules are the closest match to that of a human mother’s breast milk.
2. Almond Milk
Almond milk is another popular alternative to cow’s milk.
It is a little bit sweet and creamy, so it can be used in just about any recipe that uses milk.
Keep in mind, however, that almond milk lacks many of the nutrients found in goat’s milk, so infants cannot depend on this milk to provide all the nutrients they require.
3. Flax Milk
Flax milk derives from flaxseeds, is extremely nutritionally dense, making it a great choice for those trying to switch from cow’s milk. It has high content of omega-3 fatty acids, and its calcium level rivals that of cow’s milk.
4. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk has grown in popularity recently.
It is similar in taste and texture to cow’s milk, and it is a great fat source for babies and young children. On top of that, it is gluten-free and soy-free.
If you choose this route, you may need to get more calcium and protein elsewhere in your diet.
5. Hemp Milk
Hemp milk is known for having a fairly strong earthy taste, so may take some adjusting. However, once you acclimate to the taste of this milk, you’ll love it. It has 10 amino acids, so it is especially beneficial for those who are trying to build muscle or fight off disease.