5 Ways To STOP Sinus Infection Using Garlic With Ingredients You Have In Your Kitchen
Last updated on
Sinusitis, also known as a sinus infection or rhinosinusitis, is inflammation of the sinuses resulting in uncomfortable symptoms. Some of the common symptoms you may experience include stuffy or runny nose, pain in the face, fever, headaches, sore throat, cough and sneeses that will affect your work and activities.
Faced with sinusitis, conventional medication should be your last result as they may provide you temporary relief but cause long-term side effects.
There are many safer home remedies that you can use to stop the symptoms naturally. Have you ever treated your sinus infection with garlic? If not yet, you have missed a very effective cure. Try any of these top five ways to stop a sinus infection with garlic.
The Benefits Of Garlic In Treating Sinus Infection
Garlic is an indispensable ingredient in the processing of delicious food. Garlic is often used for its medicinal and healing properties as it contains some components such as allicin, sulfide, and liallyl that are all good for vasodilatation.
Garlic oil also contains some other substances such as aliin, phytonoxide, and glucogen that have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial effects. It is considered a natural antibiotic that supports the treatment of many inflammatory diseases such as sinusitis, pharyngitis, allergic rhinitis, and dermatitis.
In addition to treating infections, garlic has blood cholesterol lowering effects, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, stroke, prevention of cancer, and reducing chest pain. The use of garlic to treat sinusitis is a relatively safe for long-term treatment for many ailments.
These methods are simple and help relieve symptoms of acute and chronic sinusitis.
Top 5 Ways To Stop Sinus Infection With Garlic
1. Use Fresh (Raw) Garlic
Remedy 1: Eat Raw Garlic
- Peel and wash raw garlic, and eat it raw
- Eat 1-2 cloves of raw garlic every day
Remedy 2: Consume Garlic Tea
- Peel and wash raw garlic, and crush it fine
- Add some hot water, wait till the water cools down slightly so that it doesn’t burn your lips
- Sip it throughout the day
- You can drink this daily and begin to see improvement in your health
Remedy 3: Inhale Garlic
- Soak 4-6 cloves of fresh garlic in water for 8-10 minutes
- Crush the garlic cloves into fine paste
- Put the garlic paste close to your nose and inhale deeply
- You can do this throughout the day till the sinus infection stops
2. Garlic With Honey For Sinusitis Treatment
Raw honey has long been known for its many beneficial nutrients for health and beauty. It is used to remedy many ailments including sinusitis. Many studies have shown that using honey to treat sinusitis is a safe and effective method. Thanks to the high antibiotic property of honey that is considered a natural antibiotic to kill and prevent the growth of Staph aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa causing the sinus infection.
When combined with garlic, honey and garlic help increase the effectiveness to remedy ailments. This method is also very simple to follow:
- Peel and clean raw garlic and crush it fine
- Mix the crushed garlic and honey in the ratio of 1:1
- Clean nostrils with 0.9% NaCl solution and dry
- Use a cotton swab to absorb the mixture of garlic and honey then put it somewhat deep into nostrils
- Leave it there for about 1 hour
- Do it 2 times every day. If continuing to do the method for 1 week, you will see the healing effect. At first, it may feel uncomfortable in the nose, but when the mixture absorbs deep into the nose, it will create ventilation in the sinuses, thereby providing a pleasant feeling.
3. Garlic Wine
Garlic wine is very popular in India. Ancient Indians drank garlic wine, thereby preventing osteoarthritis (arthritis, calcification of the joints), respiratory disease (pharyngitis, bronchitis, bronchial asthma), cardiovascular disease (hypertension, low blood pressure, atherosclerosis), and digestive disorders (heartburn, indigestion, gastric ulcer – duodenal ulcer).
Garlic wine is considered a miracle drug of the poor in India, and has been used successfully for treating sinus infections extremely well. You can most probably buy garlic wine from your local Indian grocery store, or make it yourself.
- Slice about 40 grams of dried, peeled garlic and put them into a glass bottle to soak with 100 ml of 40-50-degree white wine
- Occasionally shake the wine bottle until you observe the wine changes from white to yellow, on the 10th day. The color will turn yellowish, and it is drinkable
- Consume 1 teaspoon, twice daily, before a meal and before bedtime
Garlic wine has very low alcohol level and is suitable even for individuals who are allergic to alcohol.
4. Garlic And Turmeric
Yellow turmeric has long been known as a “versatile drug” with many beneficial effects for treating various ailments, especially in the digestive system.
Yellow turmeric is considered a valuable herb because it contains a substance called curcumin that has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, thereby preventing and supporting treatment of peptic ulcers, duodenal and cancer.
Curcumin in fresh turmeric has the capacity of restoring damaged nasal mucosa while increasing its resistance to pathogenetic agents. In other words, turmeric is capable of causing the body to lose the ability to be too sensitive pathogenetic causes.
Using curcumin in turmeric is not only an instant solution but regular use increases the allergenic sensitivity limit and the resistance of the nasal mucosa to allergens as well. Here’s how you can use the combination of turmeric and garlic as a home remedy for curing sinusitis.
- Crush 2-4 cloves of garlic and boil in about 300ml (about 10 ounces) of water for 2-3 minutes
- Add ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder and stir well, turn off the heat
- Let the mixture of turmeric and garlic cool down then consume by sipping
- Take it daily to stop your sinus infection
5. Garlic With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is known as “a miracle drug” for many ailments. Its most beneficial feature is containing strong antifungal and antibacterial properties. It is also rich in calcium, magnesium, vitamins A, E, B1, and B2, minerals, antioxidants, and malic acid, all of which are very beneficial for disinfection.
Apple cider vinegar can also help remove the accumulation of mucus in the nasal cavity. Here is how you can take advantage of this familiar kitchen ingredient with garlic, to stop sinusitis.
- Crush 4-5 cloves of raw garlic and boil in 2 cups of water for 2-3 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into the hot garlic water, stir well and inhale the steam
- Repeat the solution 3-4 times a day until you feel an improvement
These are the five most common ways to stop sinus infection with garlic. Depending on the severity of your sinus infection, these methods may help reduce the symptoms significantly when you’re persistent in doing them.
Emily Pham is a blogger with over 10 years of experience in searching the effective remedies for skin care and health problems.
Some of the links I post on this site are affiliate links. If you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you). However, note that I’m recommending these products because of their quality and that I have good experience using them, not because of the commission to be made.