Health Benefits of Papaya Leaf Juice
Last updated on
Whether you’re looking for a healthy vegetable, leaf or herb to add to your existing juice recipes or something entirely new to try, you may want to include papaya leaf juice. Juicing papaya leaves is a great way to take advantage of their tremendous health benefits.
The Incredible Nutrients In Papaya Leaf
Research studies found that the phytonutrient compounds in papaya leaves act in synergy to display a strong antioxidant and immune enhancing impact in the bloodstream. Papain, alkaloids and phenolic compounds are responsible for their positive biological effects.
The enzymes papain and chymopapain are the two biologically active components of papaya. They aid in digesting proteins and are widely used for treating indigestion, bloating, and other digestive disorders. In addition, the alkaloid compounds, carpaine, pseudocarpaine and dehydrocarpaine demonstrate chemo-preventive effects.
Pure isolated alkaloids and their synthetic derivatives are used as basic medicinal agents because of their antispasmodic, analgesic, and bacterial properties. The phenolic compounds, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, quercetin and kaempferol exhibit potent antioxidant effect. Papaya leaves are also high in minerals like calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, iron and manganese.
Papaya leaves are known to contain very high amounts of vitamins A, C, E, K, the B vitamins and especially high in B17 (laetrile, which is used for the treatment of cancer).
Drinking Papaya Juice To Increase Blood Platelets (As In The Case Of Dengue Fever)
In tropical countries, dengue fever is very common. Dengue is caused by viruses that are being transmitted by infected Aedes mosquitoes.
Some of the symptoms of dengue fever are very high fever, nausea, headache, and dangerously low blood platelet count. If left untreated, it could lead to death.
Two of my friends were admitted to the hospital for dengue fever and we helped out by making them fresh papaya leaf juice. Each of them took a tablespoon of the juice twice a day, morning and evening.
After taking the juice for 2-3 days, we were happy to note that their blood platelet count had increased rapidly and they were soon discharged. One of them had reported her count at a dangerously low level of only 8 (normal count is 150 and above). One week after she was discharged, her platelet count shot up to above 300!
Many studies have shown the benefits of papaya leaf juice, including:
- Just 50 ml (less than 2 ounces) of papaya leaf juice once per day for 3 days straight was enough to significantly raise the level of platelets of all 114 subjects in this 2013 study.
- In 2014, another study reported a five-five-fold increase in platelet count (from 28 to 138 thousand per microliter of blood) in a young man suffering from dengue after just 5 days of taking papaya leaf juice.
- In 2016, a study confirmed that papaya leaf extract capsules were incredibly effective as well, starting from the third day of administration, with no side effects.
Health Benefits of Papaya Leaf Juice
There are dozens of reasons that you may want to try papaya leaf juice, and here is just a shortlist of the amazing things it can do.
- Blood platelet production: Maintaining a high number of blood platelets is extremely important after a serious illness, especially with diseases like dengue that cause blood platelets to drop to dangerously low levels. The Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine found that papaya leaf juice significantly increases blood platelet production.
- Supports the liver: Due to the very potent cleansing effect of papaya leaf juice for the liver, it is the basis of healing for many chronic diseases, especially of the liver, such as jaundice, liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.
- Prevents diseases: Papaya leaf juice contains acetogenin that may be used to prevent many dangerous diseases, including malaria, dengue, and cancer. This supports the immune system and naturally fights viral and bacterial invaders in the body.
- Boosts energy levels: Papaya leaf juice does such a good job of cleansing and healing that drinking it daily can help improve your energy levels and help you get started on the day more quickly. It could possibly be helpful for improving chronic fatigue.
- Supports your digestive systems: Papaya leaves contain papain, chymopapain, protease and amylase enzymes that are helpful in properly breaking down proteins, carbs and helping with digestion. Individuals with digestive disorders may find this juice healing and help regulate the digestive system. This very potent antimicrobial juice reduces inflammation of the stomach lining and heals peptic ulcers by killing harmful bacteria such as the H.Pylori bacteria. This healing process may also reduce colon inflammation from inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD).
- Minimizes inflammation: Inflammation is a common side effect of illnesses and allergies. The anti-inflammatory properties in papaya leaf juice is helpful for reducing inflammation, and possibly also reduce chemotherapy side effects.
- Regulate menstruation disorders: Drinking papaya leaves may reduce PMS symptoms and possibly regulate menstruation cycles due to its very potent healing properties that balances hormones.
- Protects cardiovascular health: The powerful antioxidants in papaya leaf boosts the immune system, greatly improves blood circulation, dilates vessels and protects heart health from stroke and diseases.
- Naturally lowers blood sugar levels: Papaya leaf juice improves insulin sensitivity that helps regulate blood sugar levels. The high antioxidants content is helpful to decrease the secondary complications of diabetes such as fatty liver, kidney damage and greatly reduces oxidative stress.
How to Make Your Own Papaya Leaf Juice
There are several ways to consume papaya leaf juice.
1. Juice It
If you have a juicer, you can simply put the (cleaned) leaves through your juicer to extract the juice. A masticating juicer does the job best. Juice and store away a small bottle of the juice in the fridge to be consumed within 4-5 days.
If you don’t have a juicer, a blender will do but you will have to do a little more work. Crush about 10 leaves and put into your blender with a cup of pure drinking water. Blend the leaves and strain out the juice using a cheese or muslin cloth.
Caution: Papaya leaf juice is horribly bitter and extremely potent. Start with only one tablespoon a day and work up to a maximum of two tablespoons a day, if taking for therapeutic purpose. Drink it neat. DO NOT drink water (or other fluids) immediately after, to allow the concentrated juice to work.
How much papaya leaf juice should you drink? Just about 50ml (less than 2 ounces) a day of the juice is enough to help bring up the blood platelet count.
For health maintenance, consume just one tablespoon a day of papaya leaf juice for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Make a Tea Infusion
Use about 3-5 medium-to-large leaves to about two liters of water (about two quarts). Boil the leaves in the water till it’s reduced to about half the quantity. Leave it to cool, discard the leaves and consume in small doses as needed. The tea may be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, but drink it as fresh as possible to benefit from its nutrients.
3. Consume the Leaf Extract
If you have no access to papaya leaves where you live, then the next best option is to use papaya leaf extracts.
Papaya leaf extracts are available in the forms of capsules, tea leaves and tincture. Be sure to choose non-GMO and organic extracts as papaya is mostly GMO in the U.S. Here’s a good place to buy quality papaya leaf extract.
Nature has given you all the nutrients, herbs, leaves, and produce you need to enjoy a long, healthy life. Work papaya leaf juice into your juicing routine to help you get all of its unique healing properties and enjoy a higher quality of life.
Some of the links I post on this site are affiliate links. If you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you). However, note that I’m recommending these products because of their quality and that I have good experience using them, not because of the commission to be made.
Leave a Reply
God has indeed blessed humanity with natural health remedies, All Glory to the Almighty.
thanks alot. I’ve learned much of what I need to help people around me.
Can I add something to papaya leaf juice?
Like lemon, calamansi or any kind of juice …
Yes, you can, if you’re drinking it for health maintenance. If for increasing blood platelets as in the case of dengue fever, then it is best to drink it as it is without diluting.
Thank you so much for this information. Thank you for the concern and care you have for humanity.
Thank very much, I have learn something that can help me…
I understand every part of the papaya tree is medicinal, is it true?
As far as I know, papaya leaves, the fruit (whether green or ripe) and the leaves, all have beneficial medicinal properties.
I appreciate this highly concise and superb health details especially from natural foods commonly seen around us but taken for granted … may God bless y’all greatly. Cheers!
One continues to see the reason for believing that every plant is medicinally beneficial to men but our knowledge in this light is limited. I give glory to God for endowning some people specially in this area. God is not wasteful.
Thanks for this valuable information. Its always great to have a papaya tree in your yard, if possible. God has created many such useful things around us. We just need to look around. Be with nature and save nature. God bless !
Wow!!!! God made every plant/tree for a reason, but we just do not know how to use it or what to do with it. Glory be to You Lord every moment, Amen. I only plant the papaya for the fruit to relieve upset stomach as I’ve learned from my mother and its good for health, but I never know all these blessings papaya provide for human. For sure I will try it myself because I do need it and I will share to families/friends but first is my spouse/kids. God Bless.
Glory to God! Amen.
Why would God create us and leave us without help? He is an all-knowing God. He made plants and herbs for us to consume both for healing and for food but we are so ignorant. Thank God for these natural remedies.
Someone introduced me to pawpaw leave tea to try it instead of using anti malaria drugs all the times, I gave it a trial and honestly it is working for me.
Wow!!!!! I now appreciate the benefits of having pawpaw plant in our surroundings. Glory be to God!
I was introduced to pawpaw leaf benefits just a few days ago but I was a bit sceptical and decided to search the web for more information about this therapy and I’m so glad I did cos I came across this site. I’m going to start the therapy to help bring down my blood sugar first though I’m also trying to conceive (TTC). I hope I’m on track.
I really have to thank God for bringing me to this web. I have been trying for years to see what I can you use for my low platelets. I spoke with my GP who told me nothing can be done, that I have live with it. But for me to find this web and read how it has benefited others with similar problems, I believe it’s God. I am really thankful, may God continue to grant you His supernatural wisdom, to enable you to set people free from all these strange illness.
My question is this, after taking the juice for about 3-4 days, is that it? Or I should continue to take once a while. Or use the tea constantly?
Definitely I will have to ask my GP for blood test to know how it has worked.
Also can one have one-on-one telephone conversation with you ?
Thank you so much for the information, really appreciate your help
Dear Carmela, thank you for your lovely message. If you have low blood platelets, I suggest that you take the papaya leaf juice till the platelets count is back to normal and satisfactory. After that, you can continue to drink papaya leaf juice to boost your immunity, for maintenance of health and for preventing cancer/diseases. As for consultation, I do offer a one-on-one health coaching. You can learn more about my service here: http://juicing-for-health.com/health-coaching-service. God bless!
Thank God for the wonderful blessings and provision he has given to man all around…
Hi, when is the best time to take the juice for digesting food, is during meal a good idea, i have some issue with gerd. Thanks
Hi Rahmat, please read this article to heal GERD/heartburn/acid reflux: http://juicing-for-health.com/heartburn-cure.
THANKS A LOT MAY THE GOOD LORD CONTINUE BLESSING YOU FOR THE GOOD WORK
God in his omnipotence made man and gave him all he needs to fulfill days in health, He created herbs and every seed-bearing tree for man’s use (food). No doubt these plants offer excellent help in heath challenges, but I will depend more on the One who created all these plants for my sustenance. He alone is the giver of life and strength. Bless you for your great researches, bless God for His wisdom.
What’s the right time to have papaya leaf juice? Morning before food or evening after food?
Hi Akshitha, you may take the papaya leaf juice in the morning before food. Start with a little to see how your body responds to it.
I am a living testimony of the power in paw paw juice. I have been taking it for over a year. I never fall sick, not even once, not even flu, the whole year. Powerful!
Thank you very much for the detailed information on how to get rid of the platelet problem with a simple fruit. It’s just wonderful! I wish I’d seen your article before. Because I recently went to the clinic, which is not far from my home and I had an expensive injection that was supposed to help my joints, but I don’t feel the result yet.
Hi Samantha, if low blood platelet is your problem, then papaya leaf juice really does help significantly. There’s no harm trying, as the juice is also high in antioxidant and contains anti-cancer properties. Just remember to take it in small amount initially, and gradually increase the dosage. All the best!
Thank you very much for the wonderful information… I just want to ask if it is safe to take papaya leaf juice 2 tablespoon everyday in a long term basis? Or one year straight? Does it have a side effect especially on our liver since it is very bitter? Thank you and God bless.
Good day!how to use papaya leaves for treating Vitiligo?because i use already papaya leaves for my dry cough..and we always refer for herbal medication…thanks God bless hope u will respond
Thank you for the wonderful advice to boost platelet levels-
How long should I take two two table spoons a day to raise my cont which is now 175
Is it advisable to take Ecoprin75mg(asprin)with papaya leaf juice daily
Tanks for the information. Can I juice the leafs with carrot?
Thank you for the wonderful advice to boost platelet levels-
How long should I take two two table spoons a day to raise my count which is now 175
Hi! I really admire how papaya does tremendous and amazing thing to our health. I loved pawpaw but the leaves really lift my eye brow dou the minerals that contain in it.
A very good explanation from the author wealth is health thanks again for the assurance of Papaya juice & its effects