How To Make This Vinegared Shrub, Alkalizing Tonic To Help Reduce Your Body Acidity
Last updated on
On a hot, sunny day, everyone is looking for that satisfying tasty drink that quenches thirst. Well, this insane alkalizing tonic recipe for a watermelon shrub will delight you to the very core. Not only does it quench your thirst but it also provides a rag-tag group of all natural ingredients and nutrients to the mix.
What’s In It?
This delightful pink drink is made with ripe, organic watermelon, raw honey, and apple cider vinegar. All the ingredients combined make a watermelon syrup that can be used to flavor soda water or cocktails. This recipe is mainly comprised of something called a shrub. The shrub is a vinegared syrup that was popular during the American Colonial Era.
It’s also called a drinking vinegar. It is infused with fruit, herbs, and spices and can be added to water, soda water or spirits. However, if you want to stick to the healthier version, like me, then stick to sweetening with natural sweetener like raw honey.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon
- Contains essential electrolytes and is hydrating
- Helps improve digestive health
- Promotes youthful skin and a vibrant, healthy body
- Works as a diuretic
- Contains a healthy dose of Vitamins A, B6 and C
- Fights cancer
- Clears kidneys
- Strengthens bones
- Produces energy
- Reduces blood sugar level
- Reduces risk of heart disease
- Reduces high blood pressure
If you want to add more flavor to this drink or perhaps just mix it up again you can add any number of your own homemade vinegars. If that’s not enough you can also add lime, lemon or mint to the mix. Mmmmm … sounds delightful, doesn’t it?
Perfect Summer Alkalizing Tonic: Watermelon And ACV Drink
- 5 cups ripe watermelon
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey (warm it up a little so that it dissolves easily in the watermelon juice).
- ½ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- You can juice the watermelon using your juicer, or put the watermelon in a blender and puree until liquefied.
- If blended, strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer.
- Add the honey and vinegar to the watermelon juice and stir until the honey is dissolved.
- Place in a glass container and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days before using. The vinegar taste will disappear over time.
- Add the shrub to bubbly water for a refreshing, hydrating drink like the one pictured here.
- The fermented Perfect Summer Watermelon Shrub will last in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Some of the links I post on this site are affiliate links. If you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you). However, note that I’m recommending these products because of their quality and that I have good experience using them, not because of the commission to be made.