10 Habits That Are Making Your Thyroid Issues Worse
Often, we do not realize that we may be acting as our own worst enemy. We acquire habits that may cause us health issues.
Sometimes we adopt habits because we think they are good for us and in some cases they may be the right habit. But, when you have a hypothyroidism situation you have to change all of those old habits and replace them with new and better habits that are meant to get your thyroid under control.
Check if you are doing any of these and not realizing that they are sabotaging your thyroid health.
Here are the 10 habits that may be causing you hypothyroidism, and if you already have a thyroid issue, it may get worse.
- A low fat diet. While a low fat diet is great for losing weight, we tend to overdo it and what happens is we are not getting the nourishing fat that we need. If you notice that your focus is off often or that you have a low attention span AND you have been on a low-fat diet, you may not be getting enough fat to feed your brain. Stop!
- Eating a heavy soy diet. Soy is great in limits. If you are eating a diet that is too high in soy you are denying your body the ability to absorb iodine. Soy blocks the uptake of iodine by your body. Unfermented soy can also lead to leaky gut syndrome.
- Are you listening? Many times our body will send us signs that our system is off by making us feel tired. Most of us just power through those feelings and chalk it up to being lazy because we are taught that you have to push through. When you are tired, pay attention, don’t just power through.
- Take that nap! This is similar to #3. Are you getting enough sleep? There is something about our society that just holds in high esteem the idea that less is more when it comes to sleep but you can be causing your own hypothyroidism by not sleeping enough.
- The Yes person! It is hard to say no to all the invites and gatherings but overdoing in the commitment department is just stressful for your body and it can put a strain on your system.
- Diet soda habit. If you drink diet soda, just stop. It is loaded up with toxic sugar and artificial chemicals. Diet soda doesn’t mean it has no sugar, it is simply that it has artificial sweeteners that are really worse than regular sugar. Quit!
- Drinking adult beverages. Alcohol even in small amounts can cause you a great deal of issues with your blood sugar levels. It is a habit that you should break immediately.
- Drinking beverages with caffeine. Caffeine can mess with your entire adrenal system. We all reach for that cup of coffee in the morning or that nice hot cup of tea. Although freshly-brewed coffee may be high in antioxidants, people with thyroid issues should really just avoid it totally.
- Vegetable oil. If part of your daily habit is to slather on margarine instead of butter and use vegetable oil when you cook, you are furthering the deterioration of your adrenal system.
- Gluten. A thyroid problem typically means a gluten problem as well. No one is quite sure how they are specifically connected but there is a link. Gluten intolerance cannot really be tested for. Just give up gluten for 30 days and see how it works out for you. If you feel better after 30 days then you know that gluten is adding to your issues.
Hypothyroidism can cause so many problems in your life from health problems to relationship problems (because you are too tired to deal with people). Taking simple steps to adjust your diet and lifestyle can easily improve the quality of life while you get your thyroid back on track.