Many people are magnesium deficient and don’t know it. Magnesium is stored in our tissues which is why early deficiency symptoms are felt in muscle weakness, tremor and spasm. Only 1% of magnesium is found in blood so they don’t show up in blood tests.
Some of the Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- Persistent eye twitch (early sign)
- Mouth ulcers
- Blurred vision
- Frequent headaches/migraines
- Physical and mental fatigue
- Leg cramps
- Irregular heart beat
- State of confusion, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts
- High blood pressure
- Thick and sticky blood
Signs of Severe Magnesium Deficiency
- Extreme thirst and hunger
- Frequent urination
- Wounds and bruises that heal very slowly
- Unusual fatigue and mental fog
- Tingling or numbness in the limbs
- Dry, itchy and scaly skin
- Frequent skin, gum bladder and vaginal yeast infections
Did you notice that the signs/symptoms of severe magnesium deficiency are similar to symptoms for diabetes? A severe magnesium deficiency will cause the body to be resistant to insulin.
Our intelligent body in its attempt to regulate blood sugar level will eliminate the increased glucose through the bladder by excessive urination. And because of this, there is a feeling of extreme thirst and hunger which are common symptoms of diabetes. Certain drugs/medications and processed foods are depleting the body of magnesium supply, rendering the body magnesium deficient. Among these are blood pressure meds, antibiotics, antacids, junk foods, coffee, tea and alcohol.
Magnesium is best derived from whole foods. Some examples: Asparagus, avocado, banana, basil, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Swiss chard, chives, spinach, tomatoes, legumes, oats, cacao, almonds, cashew nuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and quinoa. See more about magnesium-rich foods.
Magnesium-Rich JUICE RECIPE:
- ½ medium-sized beetroot
- 3-4 stalks of Swiss chard
- ½ lemon