Are you prone to bloating? Have you ever started a day with a flat stomach and as the day progresses, you feel so bloated, feeling full and tight?
Bloating is the result of excessive gas produced in the intestinal tract. There are many possible causes for this condition — like swallowing air, overeating, constipation, PMS, imbalanced intestinal flora, medications, IBS or other colon disorders.
If medical checks show that you’re clear of colon disorders, then chances are the food you’re eating (or not eating) may be causing the bloating.
Most of the time, with some adjustments to your diet, you can reduce/eliminate this bloating feeling. Here are examples of foods (or habits) that MAY cause bloating:
- Using a straw for drinking
- Chewing gum
- Skipping meals
- Eating fruits after food
- Eating fried/greasy foods
- Eating processed foods or foods high in sodium
- Drinking soda/carbonated drinks
- Artificial sweeteners and sugary foods
- Consumption of dairy products
- Eating foods high in starch
- Eating legumes, and vegetables that are high in fiber
- Eating gas-producing vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, onion, etc.
Pineapple contains digestive-promoting enzymes that aid digestion. Celery helps relieve bloating and water retention; while fennel and ginger root are excellent foods for rebuilding the gut flora. All super foods to beat that bloat!!
- ½ small pineapple
- ½ medium-sized fennel
- 2 ribs celery
- 1-inch ginger
Be aware of what you’re eating and be well.