Epsom salt sits on store shelves, generally in the pharmaceutical section, innocently looking plain and useless. It doesn’t cost much—usually under 5 bucks for a big bag—and doesn’t come in fancy containers. However, Epsom salt is a hidden gem when it comes to natural health.
A simple Epsom salt bath has many health benefits. Epsom salt is simply crystals of hydrated magnesium sulfate. We’ve all heard that magnesium has many health benefits.
Here are ten benefits of Epsom salt that you might not know about:
Bath Tub or Foot Soak
Add two cups of Epsom salt in your bath tub filled with very warm water and soak for about 30-40 minutes. Add any essential oils of your choice, if desired.
1. Helps detoxify: Set aside two weeks to drink this heavy metal chelating drink. Make Epsom salt bath tub soak a twice-weekly routine to draw out toxins and heavy metals from your body.
2. Reduces pains caused by inflammation and minor sprains. When experiencing minor inflammation and pains, have an anti-inflammatory drink and an Epsom salt bath tub soak to relieve the pains.
3. Improves sulfate levels: A good Epsom salt bath soak will help your body absorb more sulfate. Proper sulfate levels in the system will help joints and nervous system tissue function properly.
4. Boosts magnesium levels: Epsom salt helps boost magnesium levels in the body as you soak in the salt in a warm bath. Magnesium is a vastly helpful mineral for maintaining good cardiovascular health.
5. Speeds up healing of minor ailments: Epsom salt has been shown in studies to reduce healing time for gout. Do a daily foot soak to eliminate Athlete’s foot and toenail fungus.
6. Improves sleep quality: For a short soak, do an Epsom salt foot soak instead for just 20 minutes and feel the difference! The magnesium content helps you feel calmer and relaxed for an improved sleep.
BUY EPSOM SALT:
Epsom salt can be taken internally, but take with caution.
7. Relieves constipation: Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt into 4 ounces of water. Stir till dissolved and drink at one go. Be sure you have easy access to the washroom and expect movements within 30 minutes to four hours. Also eat more fresh fruits and veggies to help prevent and alleviate chronic constipation.
8. Relieves bee stings or insect bites: Epsom salt is great for relieving pain and itching from insect bites. Make a mixture of one tablespoon per half cup of cold water, use a cotton pad to make a cold compress. Hold the compress on the bite for several minutes and do these a few times a day till itch subsides. See a doctor if itches don’t get better or get worse.
Finely grind some Epsom salt and put aside for regular skin exfoliating use. The exfoliating properties of Epsom salt makes it a great addition to your beauty routine.
9. Exfoliate dead skin: Add a small amount of finely-ground Epsom salt to your shower gel and let the exfoliating effect of Epsom salt refresh and renew your skin. Especially useful for exfoliating dead skin on your heels. Do not use on face.
10. Exfoliate scalp: The exfoliating properties of Epsom salts helps remove dirt, oil and hair product buildup from your scalp, and making your hair more full and beautiful. Add a little finely-ground salt to your shampoo and gently massage on scalp. Rinse out and use your homemade conditioner for smooth, silky, healthy-looking hair.
Related reading: 22 Signs that you’re magnesium deficient, and how you can get it.
If you haven’t made Epsom salt baths a regular part of your health and beauty routine, now’s the time to start. Go ahead and take advantage of the many benefits of this hidden health gem.