There are many spices that can be added to your diet that can help with weight loss. More and more researches are showing that cumin seeds and powder can help to jumpstart weight loss, melt away body fat, and naturally improve on cholesterol levels.
What Are The Benefits Of Cumin Seeds?
Cumin originally grows in Egypt, but it’s been used for cooking and healing in India and the Middle East for generations. Its seeds are long and brown, and they have a wonderful flavour! You can buy ground cumin almost anywhere, but even better are the whole seeds.
Health benefits of cumin seeds include:
- Speed up metabolism. One of the most notable weight loss characteristics of cumin seeds, according to scientific research, is that cumin can help your body to digest and absorb lipids (fats) efficiently. As you exercise and choose to eat healthy foods, cumin can maximize on those positive life changes.
- Suppress appetite. Some researchers recommend eating cumin as part of a weight loss plan, based on a study they conducted. In this experiment, they found that eating cumin for 6 weeks led to a decrease in body weight and in food intake.
- Prevent bloating. Cumin has some anti-inflammatory properties, which can help you digest your food. If your intestines become inflamed, as a reaction to certain foods you eat, they’ll be less effective in absorbing nutrients. As a result, you have to eat more to give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs. Prevent this by reducing gut inflammation with cumin seeds.
- Cumin has a high content of antioxidants, which help to neutralize free radicals from your digestive system. This helps your digestive tract to function the best it can, and make the most of the food you’re eating.
One study compared the weight loss of women who ate 3 grams of cumin every day with women who didn’t eat cumin. While both groups reduced their calorie intake according to dietary advice, the women who consumed cumin showed an almost 15% decrease in fat after 3 months. Those who didn’t eat cumin daily had only a 4.9% loss in fat.
Also, cumin seem to lower bad cholesterols and increase good cholesterol levels!
There are also some awesome non-weight-loss benefits that are worth mentioning. Some studies have found that cumin has anti-carcinogenic properties. So, you can use cumin to help slim your waistline and reduce your risk of cancers.
It has hepatoprotective qualities, meaning it helps protect the liver from damage. When your liver is functioning in a healthy way, it cleanses your body from the toxins you ingest in your food.
How To Prepare Cumin Seed Water
You’ll be happy to know how easy it is to start using cumin for weight loss. Our favourite trick is to make it into a hot beverage. This recipe works best when you make and drink it before eating breakfast. It’s so easy!
What You Need:
- 1 glass water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp raw honey (optional)
What to Do:
- Heat water in a pot over medium heat (watch for small bubbles to start rising)
- Add cumin seeds. Boil for 5 minutes
- Strain water into a drinking mug
- Add honey if desired and stir well.
You can also try seasoning your cooked veggies with some ground cumin, or mixing it into your homemade hummus or guacamole (my personal favourite). Don’t be afraid to get creative; this is your weight loss journey, so spice it up!