M&M’s can be hard to resist. Especially, if you grew up with them.
Yet, very few people know about the dangerous side effects that come with eating M&M’s.
The RED M&M’s Were Once Banned…
Back in 1976, amid serious concern over questionable dyes used, Red M&M’s were banned. It was believed that FD&C Red #2 was a carcinogen (cancer-causing). But in 1983, they were reintroduced into the market, despite consumers urging Mars, the chocolate company that owns the brand to remove the dangerous dyes.
The CSPI has recommended that warning labels listing the risks of the eight approved FD&C food colors should be a requirement for all products containing these dangerous ingredients. The CSPI’s Dr. Jacobson said:
“The evidence that these petrochemicals worsen some children’s behavior is convincing. I hope that the committee will advise the agency to both require warning notices and encourage companies voluntarily to switch to safer natural colorings.”
M&M’s Ingredients List
Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Chocolate, Skim Milk, Cocoa Butter, Lactose, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Artificial Flavor), Sugar, Cornstarch, Less Than 1% – Corn Syrup, Dextrin, Coloring (Includes Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 6, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 2), Gum Acacia.
Here’s a list of 30 reasons why you should avoid these chocolates as much as possible.
- 93% of soy is genetically modified
- Can cause breast cancer
- Negatively impacts fertility and reproduction
- May lead to behavioral and cerebral abnormalities
- Produces malignant tumors
- Possible effects include: hay fever, low blood pressure, hives, asthma, allergic reaction
- Caution is advised if aspirin sensitive
- Petroleum based product
- Increases hyperactivity in children
- Increases brain tumors in lab rats
- Increases other abnormal cell development
- Damages DNA
- Causes swelling around the mouth
- Hyperactivity in children
- Can cause allergic reactions
- Can cause cancer
- Allergic reactions
- Nettle rash
- Swelling of the skin
- Dietary fiber from the Acacia tree
- Causes gas, nausea, loose stool and bloating
Despite there being other natural and safe coloring alternatives, the Mars company continues to use artificial dyes. Until they make the change, it would be best for you and your family to give up these questionable tiny chocolates.