There is no right or wrong about what type of apples to use for juicing, simply about “what’s better”.
I mainly use the green Granny Smith apples for juicing. When they are not available, I use any other variety of apples that are available.
Some of the reasons why I choose Granny Smith apples, over the other varieties:
- They are particularly high in antioxidants that neutralize free radicals in the body, preventing chronic diseases.
- They have high content of certain metabolite phytonutrients that make them a good “weight loss” food choice.
- They have different enzymes that are a natural and gentle laxative, making them a good colon-cleanser for better colon health.
- They are less sweet and lower in calories compared to the other varieties; at about 80 calories in a 3-inch diameter fruit.
- They have a tart taste that mixes really well with green juices.
- They have less sugar and are a good blood sugar regulator fruit, making it suitable for consumption by individuals who are diabetic or pre-diabetic.
- They have a slightly higher potassium content compared to the other varieties, a compound that is responsible for nerve cell functions and a heart-health promoter.