Causes of cataracts can be allayed when you maintain
a high-level of anti-oxidant in your body
through nutritious and healing fresh foods.
Cataracts are the clouding and deterioration of the eye lens from age-related thickening which commonly occur in an older person and may lead to blindness.
They are a result of free-radical or oxidative damage to the protein structure of the lens. The damage is liken to the process of egg whites protein turning opaque when it is slowly heated.
Studies show that people with low levels of anti-oxidant in their body are more likely to develop cataracts. By keeping the glutathione (our body’s most important anti-oxidant) level high, cataracts can be delayed and cataracts surgery avoided.
Causes of Cataracts
Cataracts causes are from the same hazards that can cause chaos in our body, leading to many other degenerative diseases. Some of the cataracts causes:
- Genetic disorders.
- Deficiency in anti-oxidant nutrient and enzymes, especially vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin) vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium and zinc.
- Harmful substances from artificial sweeteners, alcohol, caffeine, drugs, mercury, steroids, sugar and tobacco.
- Excessive exposure to glare from computer use.
- Extensive exposure to direct sunlight.
- Other diseases, like diabetes.
A diet high in anti-oxidants, such as fruits and vegetables promote overall good health and is the best defenses against eye diseases. Grapes, grape seeds, blueberries, blackberries, bilberry, raspberries and strawberries are rich with a phytonutrient (anthocyanidins) that is effective in protecting against cell degeneration in our eyes.
This phyto-medicine can even increase your range of vision, improve short-sightedness, reduce inflammation and decrease sensitivity to bright lights. All good for eye problems.
Other good ‘eye foods’ you can take that can prevent cataracts are: corn, kelp, legumes, oatmeal, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, nuts and seeds.
Most importantly, if there is already sign of cataracts, quit smoking. Substances in tobacco will hasten the formation of cataracts.
|Recommended Healing Foods To Improve Eye Health|
Include fruits and vegetables that are high in anti-oxidant and flavonoids into your juicer recipes. Lutein content in spinach is especially important for promoting healthy eye sight. Asparagus helps increase the glutathione level that is necessary for this condition.
Regular consumption of foods high in anti-oxidant has been associated with reduced cataract operations. Fresh plant foods that are deep in yellow-orange-red colors contain phytonutrients best suited for this purpose. Carrot is rich in beta-carotene; it helps protect your eyes and reduces the risk of cataracts formation.
Some Suggested Combos (measurement for one portion):
- 2 carrots + 2 green apples + 1 red/yellow/orange capsicum + 5-6 stalks asparagus + a slice of lemon
- 2 carrots + 2 green apples + a bunch of spinach + 3-4 leaves of kale + a slice of lemon
- 2 carrots + 1 medium-sized sweet potato + 5-6 stalks asparagus + a cup of broccoli florets
- 1 carrot + 1 orange + 1 green apple + 1 tomato
- 1 pomegranate + a cup of strawberries + a cup of raspberries + a cup of blueberries