You don’t see it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there.
Don’t overlook the invisible killer. Avoid them where possible.
Electro-Magnetic Fields (EMFs)
Electro-magnetic fields (EMFs) are man-made and is an increasing threat in this modern world. We need to know what it is, the source of it, and how it harms in order to minimize our exposure to the health risks it poses as much as possible.
If you think you are living a rather healthy lifestyle yet are often sickly, you might be a victim of this silent killer.
There are two types of EMFs—natural and man-made. We will discuss here, the man-made EMFs that seem to pose a far greater threat to our health. They are all around us, yet we are rather oblivious to the extent of harm it can cause to our health and our children’s health. This is the dark side of technology, and the price we have to pay for modernization and convenience.
What is Electro-Magnetic Radiation (EMR) ?
EMFs are invisible forces that occur when electrical current flows through an electrical device. Electric and magnetic fields emanate outwards and affecting everything around them.
The intensity of the field varies with voltage. The higher the voltage, the stronger the electric fields. Interaction between the electricity and magnetic fields produces electro-magnetic radiation (EMR).
Exposure to an electric field can sometimes be weakened by things around it. It can sometimes be felt, making your skin or hair tingle. However, the magnetic field travels through most things, and cannot be felt.
Radiation is an energy that takes the form of waves, spreading outwards from its source, very much like ripples in water that move outwards when a pebble is dropped into it. EMR passes through space at the speed of light at about 300 million meters per second and it interacts with things around it.
How EMFs Affect Our Health
We are fundamentally electro-magnetic beings with micro electrical currents being generated to control our bodily functions such as growth, metabolism, thought, movements, etc. Disturbances to this electrical network in our body can cause malfunctioning of our internal organs, especially to the brain.
Exposure to consistent external frequency for more than a few minutes can cause our body’s electrical functionality to be disrupted. This is true even with exposures to very weak EMFs.
Research has documented that prolonged exposure to EMFs can reduce the brain’s protective mechanism and causes psychiatric disorders like depression, shortened attention span and insomnia. It also interferes with the body’s natural healing process.
Our human bodies are very sensitive to EMFs. When we interact with natural energies, we reinforce the natural balance within our energy system. But when we are exposed to man-made EMFs which are unnatural for our bodies, they create a chaotic situation that is harmful. Our bodies absorb and store the energy fields that weaken our immune system, resulting to various illnesses and diseases.
Some diseases linked to constant exposure to EMFs: Headaches, chronic fatigue syndrome, memory loss, miscarriages, birth defects, leukemia, lymphoma, brain tumor and even cancer.
Electro-pollution: Look at the dangers around you
Contrary to what we may think, low dose exposure doesn’t mean low risk. In fact, low level EMF exposures increased health risks!! And here are some unlikely suspects:
Radiowaves are energy emitted by radio stations to receiving units in your home devices. All wireless technology has its own frequency band, like remote controllers for your automatic gate, home alarm systems, cordless phones, cell phones, radio, remote controlled toys, global positioning system (GPS), etc.
Radiowaves can produce deep heating into our body organs without affecting the skin. Non-thermal effects emanating from these devices have been proven to be even more harmful, causing: headaches, disturbance in sleep patterns, shortened attention span, increased blood pressure, damage to eyes especially when glaucoma medication are also taken, childhood leukemia, growth of cancer cells in brain, and many more.
The video clip below shows you the radiowaves emitted from ringing cell phones that can pop corns. Imagine how it can also burn your brain out !!
Safety precautions on using cell phones:
- Avoid using mobile or cordless phones for an extended period, if you can.
- If you really have to use the phone, make your calls short or use a handsfree set.
- Avoid using the phone in poor signal areas—handsets will automatically adjust to increase their broadcast power under this circumstance.
- Use an external (bluetooth) earpiece that keeps the phone away from your head.
- If you wear glasses, go for plastic frames or non-metal frames. Good conductor material can serve as an antenna to channel radiowaves directly into your brain.
Television Waves and Extremely Low Frequency (ELF)
Television sets radiate EMF in all directions when plugged in, not just while turned on. Larger screens may radiate a stronger field that can even penetrate walls. Video display terminals (VDTs) are included in this category, emitting very low frequency which interferes with our internal electrical system. Other devices that emit ELF: computers, laser printers, photocopiers, electric blankets, electric clocks. Computer: According to Peggy Bentham in her book VDU Terminal Sicknesses, she mentioned eight type of EMR from computers. (And I’m also exposed to the risks as I create my website.):
- X-rays, stronger in color VDUs
- Ultraviolet radiation
- Infrared radiation
- Radio waves
- Extremely low frequency
- Very low frequency fields
- Static electricity
Some of the health risks from long-term exposure to computers and VDUs: miscarriages, low birth weights, eye problems, hearing problem, suppressed immune system, hyperactivity in young children, skin irritation, etc.
Safety precautions on using TVs and VDUs:
- Sit at least 24 inches away (ideal) from the screen.
- EMFs radiate from all sides of the computer, especially from the top and back. Sit at least 3 feet away from a computer that is in operation.
- Avoid working at the VDU for more than 2 hours a day (rather impossible for me!)
- Switch off the power of your TV or computer when not in use.
- Wear UV-protection eye glasses if possible, to reduce the UV radiation that can cause cataract.
- Put some live plants next to your computer. The leaves can help absorb some infrared radiation and produce negative ions that are necessary for our bodies.
Power transmission lines carry very high voltages and emit both electrical and magnetic fields. How close is YOUR home to power lines? A safe distance is about 1,000 feet away.
Substations might be closer to home and they give off very high magnetic fields.
EMFs emitted from your neighborhood transformer are rather high too, but due to its small structure, the field strength diminishes rapidly with distance. So, the further your home is from any power stations or neighborhood transformer, the better.
All of us walking on the street may be exposed to EMFs from these transmission lines. Scientific studies have found a link between increased rates of cancer and proximity to power lines.
Another study by epidemiologist, Dr Nancy Wertheimer from the University of Colorado, showed that children living near these backyard power lines had 3 times the likelihood of developing childhood leukemia and cancer. Children are more susceptible to exposure to EMFs.
Many other studies have confirmed her findings and found increased risk of leukemia, lymphomas, brain tumor, cancer of the brain and nervous system. There are also links of EMFs and other mysterious diseases, sudden death of babies, fatigue, extreme headaches, disorders of the central nerve system and exhaustion.
Dangers in the Medical Field
Diagnostic X-rays and scans expose you to unnecessary radiation. Professor and Director of Medical Physics at Hammersmith Hospital in London wrote: “Medical irradiation is by far the largest man-made contribution to the radiation burden of the population of developed countries.”
X-rays are ionizing radiation that are damaging. There is no such thing as a “safe” X-ray. The few kinds of X-rays: mammograms, bone X-rays, dental X-rays, CT scans and fluoroscopy.
X-rays have higher energy than light waves that can pass through the body. The high energy radiation can cause damage to cells in the body, which increases the risk of developing cancer. Even though the risk is rather low, it increases with the increasing number of X-rays you are exposed to during your lifetime.
CT (computerized tomography) scan is a moving beam of X-rays that create a 3-dimensional picture, (e.g. the brain). And because it shoots so many fine-beam X-rays all at one, the dose of radiation received is much higher than that of a standard X-ray.
Radiation exposure does most damage to cells during rapid growth, therefore, babies and young children are at a far greater risk from these exposures.
The ionizing radiation in mammography poses cumulative cancer risks. The radiation absorbed dose (RAD) is about 1,000 times more than a chest X-ray. If a pre-menopausal woman undergoes annual screening over a 10-year period, it would have exposed her to 10 RADs on each breast, bringing the cumulative risk to 10%.
Breast tissues are extremely susceptible to radiation-induced cancer. So, you can see that mammograms can initiate the very breast cancer that women want to avoid by taking annual mammograms!! Avoid it at all costs.
Hazards in Our Households
Most household electrical appliances also emit EMFs but at a much lower risk. Here is a highlight of some:
- Fluorescent light: emits EMR at the energies of visible and UV light. Prolonged exposure has been found to cause red blood cells to clump together, reducing alertness, causing a tired feeling. Always opt for natural sunlight where possible.
- Electric clocks that comes with a radio have a moderately high EMF. Avoid putting these at your bedside if possible.
- Electric blankets create EMFs that can penetrate 6-7 inches into the body. An epidemiological study has linked electric blankets with miscarriages and childhood leukemia.
- Other electrical items emitting low-level EMF: hair dryer, electric shaver, vacuum cleaner, microwave oven, washing machine, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc.
Safety precautions you can take at home:
- Grow some plants indoors. Plants are natural eco-friendly air purifiers and their leaves can help absorb some infrared radiation and produce negative ions that are necessary for our bodies.
- Use electrical items for only brief periods. Switch off the power when not in use.
- Remove all electrical appliances at least 6 feet away from your bed.
- Do not put your cell phone under your pillow as an alarm clock. It emits EMF even when not in use.
- Avoid prolonged exposure of your children to television and computers.
- Minimize the use of electrical devices like the radio and microwave ovens. Turn off the power when not in use.