So you’ve decided to do a short detox. Frequent three to seven days detox are ideal for busy people, when you can do a short program over a long weekend/vacation week. It is a way of reducing toxins in the body, but not enough for full healing of a chronic disease. For deeper healing, longer detoxes are required, depending on the severity of diseases, up to 40 days or beyond. See the healing process.
A very good example is when a regular coffee drinker STOPS drinking coffee (or a drug abuser STOPS taking drugs), he/she may have a headache or other “withdrawal symptoms”. When you stop putting harmful toxins into your body, your body has a way to “relax” and release old toxins to be eliminated from your body. During this time of toxins transition to be eliminated, you may experience healing reactions (a.k.a. withdrawal symptoms).
There are a few ways you can do a detox:
- A water fast without solid foods, drinking only water (healing is faster but not recommended for beginners without supervision).
- A juice fast where you drink plenty of fresh juices, water, herbal tea and broths (healing is slower than a water fast but faster than if solid foods were included).
- A juice feast where you drink plenty of fresh juices, water, herbal tea, broth, and eat only raw fruits and vegetables (healing is slow and steady – this is easier to do).
- A raw food cleanse where you eat and drink only uncooked or likely cooked plant foods (i.e. fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices), drink juices, water, herbal teas, and broths (healing is slow and steady – this is easier to do).
On this website, I will be touching only on the juice fast or feast. Start reading more here. Please read through this section before you start on any juice cleanse/detox so that you are not caught unaware when a healing reaction occurs, or if you should encounter changes in your body.
3 to 7 days Detox
There are no hard and fast rules about what to juice but there is a certain order that may help. You can chart your own detox program depending on what is suitable or appropriate for you. Basically, here are some detox protocols that are important:
- 2-3 days before you begin your detox, start eliminating these foods from your diet: Processed foods, flour and sugar products, dairy products, animal meat products, oily cooked foods, alcohol, caffeine, and carbonated drinks. Please refer to the harmful foods list.
- Drink at least 2-3 liters of water daily, on top of your juices.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night, ideally from before 11.00 PM as that is the time when your liver does its best detox work during the night cycle.
- Supplements: You may already been taking various supplements. But, when doing a juice cleanse, do not stop taking this two supplements: Omega 3 fish/flaxseed oil and 30-50 billion count probiotics.
Note: If you are new to juicing, I suggest you don’t do a juice fast yet until you get your body accustomed to drinking juices for at least a couple of months. With a juice fast, you may encounter more healing reactions than if you did a juice feast, that is to include fresh raw plant foods in your detox program.
Have questions about WHAT to juice and WHY? Read more here. This is suitable even if you intend to do a fast that is more than seven days.
Click on the juice fasting articles listed in the right column on this page to read more about how to juice fast/feast and much more!