A cough is often an accompanying symptom of seasonal allergies, common cold, and other ailments. You may experience a cough after suddenly coming in contact with smoke or other irritating substances. Hacking and persistent coughs lead to pain in the throat and its surrounding muscles. Such coughs require medical attention and treatment. But you can also try essential oils to relieve the pain and resolve persistent coughs.
Essential Oils That Can Be Used To Remedy Respiratory Ailments
In terms of essentials for a cough, there are various options that you can go for. Below is a short list of the essential oils you can use:
- Eucalyptus oil breaks up mucus in the lungs and reduces inflammation in the respiratory system.
- Rosemary oil relieves respiratory disorders including sinus infections, asthma, a whooping cough, and bronchitis.
- Cyprus oil prevents fluid accumulation in the lungs.
- Lemon citrus treats throat infections effectively.
- Cedar wood relieves respiratory muscles and breaks up mucus in the lungs.
- Peppermint oil is an effective treatment for dry coughs.
- Tea tree oil treats underlying infections and clears bronchial congestion.
- Jojoba oil can be of great help with its anti-inflammatory effects when combined with other essential oils for cough.
- Myrrh reduces mucus accumulation in the lungs.
- Sandalwood is an effective treatment for infections in the upper respiratory system. It relieves mucus build-up in lungs as well.
- Angelica has expectorant properties that expel phlegm from the lungs.
- Lavender oil relieves respiratory tract disorders.
- Rose oil relieves coughs associated with respiratory conditions such as allergies and asthma.
- Cajeput fights respiratory system infections.
- Frankincense oil clears the lungs and regulates breathing.
- Black pepper clears respiratory passages.
- Thyme oil has antibacterial, antiseptic and expectorant properties that help to fight against infections that cause cold and cough, as well as drain congestion.
- Pine oil can help to loosen and get rid of mucus and phlegm from respiratory tract with its expectorant properties, thus helping to cure cough and colds.
Ways To Use Essential Oils For Coughs
With all the essential oils available, you should also know the effective ways to apply them so as to relieve your cough and associated symptoms.
1. Add Essential Oils To A Diffuser
Adding a few drops of essential oils in a diffuser can bring great relief to your symptoms.
A diffuser breaks down the essential oils added into tiny molecules that spread into the air. The process is faster and more effective when using a high quality diffuser. The essential oils release natural ozone as they break down, which improves the quality of air in the room. The tiny molecules remain in the air for hours depending on quality of the diffuser, how long you diffuse, and air quality.
Diffusing essential oils in the air fights sinus infections, congestion, flu, and colds.
2. Using Lozenges To Treat A Cough
Essential oil-based throat lozenges can relieve coughs. Keep one or two lozenges between your cheek and back teeth so that its juice drips down the back of your throat.
3. Make A Balm
Prepare a balm by mixing 5 drops of lavender oil, one tablespoon of unrefined, organic coconut oil, 2 drops of thyme oil and 8 drops of eucalyptus oil. Rub one teaspoonful of the balm on your chest before going to bed.
This balm relieves congestions and coughs. You will sleep well and breathe easily. Thyme has antiviral properties while eucalyptus relieves coughs and congestion effectively. Lavender has antiviral and antibacterial properties, and is known to produce a feeling of relaxation.
4. Essential Oil Tissue Aid To Relieve Congestion
Place 4 drops of lavender and 6 drops of eucalyptus on a fresh pack of purse-size tissue papers. Place the oil in different parts of the tissues and then pack them in a zip lock bag. Carry the tissues in your purse whenever you have a cold. Hold one tissue near your nose when your nose is congested, for relief. Breathing in the essential oil deeply relieves congestion.
5. Mix Lemon And Eucalyptus Oils
A mixture of lemon and eucalyptus essential oils relieves a cough effectively. Mix three tablespoonfuls of honey with 2 drops of lemon and 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oils. Add one teaspoon of this mixture to warm water in a glass and take slowly.
6. Massage Oil
Essential oils for cough can be used to make a massage oil to relieve chest congestions. Mix a drop of pine oil with 3 drops of eucalyptus oil, one teaspoon of jojoba oil and 2 drops of thyme oil. Use this massage oil to rub your back and chest.
7. Gargle With Salt Water
While an occasional sore throat may be a sign of a cold, chronic sore throats are a sign of a poor digestive system health. You can treat a sore throat by gargling warm, salty water. Add a drop of tea tree and ravensara to the solution for a more powerful gargle. Ensure that the droplets of both essential oils break by stirring the mixture vigorously.
Sip a small amount of the mixture, gargle for 30 seconds and then spit. Gargle several times and keep stirring the mixture before each gargle. This treatment is effective when used every 4 hours. You can use white thyme instead of ravensara but do not exceed one drop if using white thyme oil.
8. Try A Hot Bath
An alternative way of using essential oils to relieve a cold or cough is adding them to a hot bath. Add 6 drops of tea tree and 2 drops of white thyme or ravensara to your bath. Do not exceed 2 drops of thyme because it can cause skin irritation if it does not dissolve properly.
Essential Oils For Children
Children can use essential oils for a cough too. However, only use organic products as these are safer for children. Consult your natural healer, if you are unsure about any essential oils.
This article is shared with permission from our friends at newhealthadvisor.com.